The creation of these gluten free white chocolate and ginger cookies was a happy accident while I was developing another recipe. And my goodness am I glad I hit upon this dreamy combination!
The resulting cookies are scrunchy and chewy at the edges, and slightly squidgy in the middle. Packed with white chocolate and with a bit hit of warming ginger. One of these with a cuppa is absolute heaven.
If you’ve tried my Seriously Amazing Chocolate Chip Cookies (if you’ve not, you should), think of these as their slightly spicy cousin. They are very similar in form and texture, with a different flavour profile.
For a more classic gingerbread biscuit, try my Gingerbread People recipe. Plus I’ve a soft gingerbread cookie recipe coming soon 🙂 – that’s what I was developing when I strayed and created these!
Freezer Friendly Recipe
This recipe makes 12 cookies, so if you don’t fancy eating all of them within a couple of days, you can freeze some of the dough.
Simply make the dough and roll into balls, as per the recipe. Then freeze until needed (I add a little non stick baking paper between the balls, to stop them sticking together).
To bake from frozen, bake at 170C (fan) for 14 minutes, add the extra chocolate, then a further 1 minute.
They are delicious, especially eaten warm while the middle is still extra squidgey :D. The perfect stash to have on hand, as you can just bake them as and when needed. Fresh cookies in 15 minutes!
Can I Make These Dairy Free or Vegan?
Yes – I’ve tested making them with Stork, and it works perfectly. Then simply swap the white chocolate for a plant based alternative.
White Chocolate & Ginger Cookies Recipe
So here’s the recipe, which make 12 large gluten free cookies, and is totally delicious. As I said in the intro, you can freeze the dough in balls if you don’t want to make all 12 (details above). If you want to make more, simply double the recipe.
You will find lots of step by step photos underneath the recipe, in case you need a visual guide.
For any other help along the way or if you have questions, please do message me on social media (@myglutenfreeguide) or email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you enjoy this white chocolate and ginger cookie recipe, please leave a review on the recipe card below. It makes a world of difference to me :).
And you can also share photos of your home creations in my Cooking Club on Facebook.
White Chocolate & Ginger Cookies (GF)
Incredibly moreish white chocolate & ginger cookies. Chewy and crisp on the outside, slightly squidgy in the middle. Freezer friendly, gluten free recipe.
- 125g unsalted butter
- 150g caster sugar
- 80g light brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 220g gluten free plain flour
- 0.5 tsp xanthan gum
- 0.5 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 0.5 tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp ground ginger
- 100g + 30g white chocolate (chips or chopped into chunks)
- Place the butter in a large mixing bowl. It should be nice and soft, but if it's still a bit hard warm it slightly in the microwave so it still holds its form but is easy to mix. Add the caster and light brown sugar to the bowl and mix with a wooden spoon until smooth.
- Crack the egg into the bowl and stir it through the butter/sugar mixture to combine.
- Now sift the dry ingredients into the bowl - the gluten free flour, xanthan gum, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and ground ginger. Stir everything together until you have a nice soft, slightly sticky cookie dough.
- Finally add the 100g white chocolate chips and stir through.
- Take a large sheet of baking paper (about 30 cm long) and place on your worktop. Scrape the cookie dough into a ball and place it on the paper. Press the cookie dough roughly into a rectangular shape, about 2cm thick, then wrap completely with the baking paper. Transfer to the fridge for 40 minutes (having it nice and thin like this means it chills quickly and evenly).
- Once chilled, remove the cookie dough from the fridge. Preheat the oven to 170C (fan) and line a large cookie sheet with non-stick baking paper. Use a knife to cut the cookie dough into 12 equal portions, then roll each portion into a ball.
- I bake 6 at a time (so either use the same tray twice or use two trays), as you need a good amount of space between the cookies - they will spread a lot during baking. Pop your tray into the oven and bake for 11 minutes, then take the cookies out and scatter HALF the remaining white chocolate chips/chunks on top (you need the other half for the second batch of 6). Then they go back in the oven for a further 1-2 minutes.
- Remove the cookies from the oven - they should have crispy golden edges and be slightly puffed. The centres will still have slight wobble to them, but if they look very raw put them back in for an extra minute (but don't bake until the centres are solid else you'll lose the chew). Leave them to cool fully on the baking tray, before using a spatula to ease them off the paper and straight into your waiting hand so you can gobble one up :D. Or store in an airtight container and enjoy at your leisure!
I really hope you love my gluten free white chocolate and ginger cookies recipe! If you do please give some of my other recipes a whirl some time :). Here are a few to consider:
Happy Baking! Laura xxx