I’ve got a lovely easy lunchtime recipe to share, gluten free bacon & cheese turnovers. Made using shop-bought gluten free puff pastry, these are super quick to make and DELICIOUS to eat.
Growing up, in my pre-coeliac days, I used to love getting these from Devon Savouries, which was the South West version of Greggs! So as soon as gluten free puff pastry became available in the supermarkets, I was able to start enjoying them again. Although this time a homemade version.
A golden folded parcel of puff pastry, wrapped around bacon and cheddar cheese, with a couple of little extras to make them reeeeeally good.
My gluten free bacon & cheese turnovers have a little cream cheese in the middle, which helps keep them nice and juicy during baking. Otherwise you run the risk of having a dried out, dry puff pastry square.
You can also add chutney, chilli jam or pesto to the centres, to give areal flavour boost. Personally I’m a sucker for adding Stokes Chilli Jam to mine, it rocks!
Where Can I Buy Gluten Free Puff Pastry?
I use the JusRol gluten free puff pastry sheet for these bacon & cheese turnovers. You can buy it in most UK supermarkets, in the free from fridge section. Sometimes it’ll be in the vegan section, as it is also dairy free.
If you don’t have access to gluten free ready made gluten free puff pastry, you can make it from scratch. Then roll out into a thin (approx 2mm thick) large rectangle to make these pastries.
Do I Have to Use Sweet Chilli Jam?
No, not at all. You can keep them plain bacon and cheese if you want to go with the classic recipe. However, I love the extra pop of sweetness you get from sweet chilli jam, or fresh herby taste from pesto.
Gluten Free Bacon & Cheese Turnovers Recipe
This recipe will make 6 small bacon & cheese turnovers. Feel free to make larger ones if you prefer, although if using a rectangle-shaped piece of pastry fewer will lead to slightly wonkier shapes. Rather than nice squares of pastry.
You will find some handy pictures below, underneath the recipe. For any help along the way or if you have questions, please do message me on social media (@myglutenfreeguide) or email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you do enjoy this gluten free bacon & cheese turnovers recipe, please leave a review on the recipe card below. It makes a world of difference to me :). And you can also share photos of your home creations in my Cooking Club on Facebook.
Enjoy! Laura xxx
Golden gluten free puff pastry, folded over crispy bacon and cheddar cheese with a secret filling to make them extra delicious! Well not so secret when you read the recipe :). Enjoy these hot from the oven or cold in lunchboxes and at picnics.
- 1 sheet Jusrol gluten free puff pastry 280g
- 6 tsp cream cheese
- 6 tsp sweet chilli jam/pesto/chutney (optional)
- 6 rashers streaky bacon (unsmoked)
- 100g cheddar cheese
- 1 egg, beaten
- Preheat the oven to 200C (fan). Unroll the sheet of gluten free puff pastry and lay it flat on a baking sheet, on top of the baking paper it comes rolled in.
- Cut into 6 equal squares (see image below), and space them out slightly.
- Add a tsp of cream cheese to each and spread a streak diagonally with the back of the spoon (image below).
- Add a tsp of sweet chilli jam or other condiment on top of the cream cheese and spread.
- Grate the cheddar cheese and even distribute it between the six squares, sprinkling it onto the cream cheese and sweet chilli jam smear.
- Chop each rasher of bacon in half, then place the two halves onto each of the squares. The bacon tends to shrink a bit during cooking, so I find that if you cut them in half it stops the bacon from disappearing under the pastry, and helps it to get nice and crispy during baking.
- Now fold the corners of the pastry in (see images below), one at a time, until you have a diamond-shaped pastry.
- Press gently to seal and prick with a form, then brush all the exposed parts of the pastry with beaten egg.
- Bake in the oven for about 20 minutes at 200C (fan), or until golden and crispy!
For more tasty gluten free picnic and lunchtime treats, why not try some of my other gluten free recipes:
Enjoy! Laura xxx