Gluten Free Cookie Cupcakes
Cookies…cupcakes…cookies…why choose when you can make these melt-in-the-middle gluten free cookie cupcakes instead! These babies are awesome either straight from the oven, microwaved later with ice-cream or as they are for a mid-afternoon snack. For a slight variation, try adding white chocolate chips and pistachio nuts to your cookie dough mix and include a dark chocolate centre.
- 60g salted butter
- 150g soft light brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 medium egg
- 150g gluten free plain flour
- 1/2 tsp gluten free baking powder
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1/4 tsp xanthan gum
- 100g milk chocolate
- Preheat your oven to 180C.
- Grease a 12-hole muffin tray with a little butter or margarine.
- Take a large bowl and cream the butter and sugar together until smooth.
- Add the egg and the vanilla essence and continue to mix.
- Next, sift the flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and xanthan gum into the bowl. Stir well until all the ingredients are combined. You want to end up with a soft cookie dough mixture, which can be rolled without sticking to your hands too much but that is still soft and pliable and has a sheen. If the mix is too sticky, add a little flour. If too dry, add a little milk.
- Now divide the mix into 4 pieces and set one side.
- Make 4 balls of cookie dough from each of the remaining 3 pieces and place a ball into each hole of the muffin tin (you will end up with 12). Press each ball into the tin – you want to end up with a little dough cup, with hollow in the middle and the cookie dough raised up the sides of the muffin mould.
- Finely chop you chocolate and melt in the microwave (or you preferred method). I blast the chocolate in the microwave for 20 seconds, then stir, then repeat until the chocolate is completely melted.
- Spoon the melted chocolate into the little cookie dough cups.
- Using the remaining quarter of the dough, break into 12 pieces and press out into little circles to cover the tops of your cookie cups. These don’t need to be super neat, as you can gently press the edges of the cookie lid into the cup. The aim is to cover the chocolate centres.
- Now bake for 15 minutes until slightly golden, for a gluten free cookie cupcake that is lovely and soft inside.
- Allow the gluten free cookie cupcakes to cool a little before you remove them from the tin – they should pop down is you gently twist them with you fingers – then transfer them to a wire cooling rack.
Serve warm with ice-cream or allow to cool and save them for a treat later on! They are best consumed in the first couple of days, but if you have some left over after a few days (a miracle if they last that long without being scoffed!) then a quick blast in the microwave will melt those centres and freshen up the dough.
For more baking inspiration, check out one of my other gluten free recipes while you are here: