This Asian-style gluten free chicken noodle soup is a staple in our household and an excellent way to use up roast chicken leftovers. It features a warming broth, which you can add fresh chilli too if you like a bit of spice, with rice noodles, soft chicken pieces, mushrooms, sweetcorn and spring onion.
It is quick and easy to make, only using one large saucepan and is healthy and dairy free too. If you don’t have leftovers to use up, sliced chicken breast would work well, or you could substitute tofu and vegetable stock if you are vegetarian.
How to Precook Your Rice Noodles
You can buy precooked rice noodles for this recipe or make them yourself at home. I use Rice Sticks, which you can buy online, in supermarkets or from Asian food stores.
You’ll simply need to cook them in boiling water for 5 minutes, then drain and rinse under cold water. Then pop them back into the saucepan and submerge in cold water. Leave until you are ready to use them, then drain off the water and add the noodles to your soup to finish cooking.
Asian-Style Chicken Noodles Soup Recipe (GF, DF)
You’ll find the method below, plus a couple of photos to help guide you through the recipe. Feel free to email me any questions or comments you might have. You can contact me at email@example.com or message me on Instagram/Facebook @myglutenfreeguide.
If you enjoy this chicken noodle soup, I would be really grateful if you could leave a star rating or review on the recipe card below. Thank you!
Thai Style Chicken Noodle Soup (GF, DF)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2cm cube ginger, finely chopped
- 1 tsp sesame oil (olive or vegetable oil also fine if you don't have sesame)
- Approx 150g leftover roast chicken, shredded into bite-sized pieces
- 1 litre stock (one gluten free chicken stock cube, one vegetable - I used Knorr)
- 125g chestnut mushrooms, sliced
- 4 spring onions, sliced into rounds
- 1 small tin of sweetcorn (approx 190g)
- 150g precooked flat rice noodles (see method in intro)
- 3 tsp gluten free tamari soy sauce
- Optional: 1 red chilli, finely sliced
- Take a large saucepan and pour a very small drizzle of oil in the centre of the pan and set over a medium heat. Add the garlic and ginger and allow to cook for a minute or two until they are gently sizzling.
- Add the shredded chicken to the pan, mix together with the garlic and ginger and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the stock, stirring and scrapping the bottom of the pan to release all the good flavours from the garlic and ginger - then leave to simmer over a low heat for 10 minutes.
- Add the sliced mushrooms, spring onions, sweetcorn and soy sauce - turn up to a medium-low heat and cook for 5 minutes until the mushrooms have started to soften.
- Add the rice noodles, cook for a further 5-10 minutes.
- Serve in large bowls, with the sliced red chilli sprinked on top.
For more Asian-inspired gluten free dishes, why not try one of these tasty recipes: