This Asian-style gluten free chicken noodle soup is a staple in our household and an excellent way to use up roast chicken leftovers. It features a warming broth, which you can add fresh chilli too if you like a bit of spice, with rice noodles, soft chicken pieces, mushrooms, sweetcorn and spring onion.
It is quick and easy to make, only using one large saucepan and is healthy and dairy free too. If you don’t have leftovers to use up, sliced chicken breast would work well, or you could substitute tofu and vegetable stock if you are vegetarian.
I have used pre-cooked rice noodles in this recipe, however if you want to make it using dry rice noodles you absolutely can. Cook them in a separate pan of water and then rinse in cold water to remove any excess starch before you add them to the soup.
Asian-Style Chicken Noodle Soup (Serves 2)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2cm cube ginger, finely chopped
- 1 tsp sesame oil (olive or vegetable oil also fine if you don’t have sesame)
- Approx 150g (of whatever quantity you have) leftover roast chicken, shredded
- 1 litre stock (one gluten free chicken stock cube, one vegetable – I used Knorr)
- Half a punnet of mushrooms (approx 6 chestnut mushrooms, for example), sliced
- 4 spring onions, sliced
- 1 pack of baby sweetcorn, sliced, or a small tin of sweetcorn
- 1 x 150g sachet of Amoy Straight to Wok gluten free rice noodles
- 3 tsp gluten free tamari soy sauce
- Optional: 1 red chilli, finely sliced
- Take a large saucepan and pour a very small drizzle of oil in the centre of the pan and set over a medium heat. Add the garlic and ginger and allow to cook for a minute or two until they are gently sizzling.
- Add the shredded chicken to the pan, mix together with the garlic and ginger and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the stock, stirring and scrapping the bottom of the pan to release all the good flavours from the garlic and ginger – then leave to simmer over a low heat for 10 minutes.
- Add the sliced mushrooms, spring onions, baby sweetcorn and soy sauce – turn up to a medium-low heat and cook for 5 minutes until the mushrooms have started to soften.
- Add the rice noodles, cook for a further 5-10 minutes.
- Serve in large bowls, with the sliced red chilli sprinked on top.
For more Asian-inspired gluten free dishes, why not try one of these tasty recipes: