I make a mean gluten free cookie and I recently expanded my recipe repertoire with these gluten free double chocolate cookies. These soft American-style cookies are good enough to rival the gluteny alternatives from Ben’s Cookies and Millie’s Cookies! With a soft centre and crispy edges, this particular gluten free cookie recipe includes big chunks of creamy white chocolate but you can sub in any chocolate variety to achieve your double chocolate combo of choice.
Gluten Free Double Chocolate Cookies (Makes 12)
- 170g salted butter
- 200g light brown sugar
- 100g caster sugar
- 1 large egg + 1 egg yolk
- 350g gluten free plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 50g cocoa powder
- 0.5 tsp xanthan gum
- 150g white chocolate
- Preheat your oven to 180C (fan oven).
- Melt the butter in a microwave for approx 30-40 seconds, until just liquid. There might still be a few small lumps when you take it out, but give the melted butter a stir until these have melted too.
- Add the dark sugar and caster sugar to the warm butter, stir them well to combine.
- Now the egg and egg yolk are added to the butter sugar mixture. Mix well until a smooth batter has formed.
- Take a second bowl and add the gluten free flour, baking powder, cocoa and xanthan gum, stirring to fully combine them.
- Pour the batter mix into the bowl with the dry ingredients and mix with a wooden spoon until you have a soft sticky cookie dough. Leave to stand for 10 minutes to allow the flours to absorb some of the liquid in the dough.
- After resting, mix the dough again and it should now come away from the sides of the bowl as you mix. If it is too dry add a tablespoon of milk, if too sticky add a tablespoon of gluten free flour (and continue adjusting until you have the right consistency).
- Chop the white chocolate into rough chunks and then stir into the cookie dough until it is evenly distributed.
- Line two baking trays with greaseproof paper. Divide the cookie dough into 12 pieces, roll into balls and place 6 balls on each baking tray. Press down gently until the raw cookies are around 1cm thick.
- Pop them into the oven to bake for 10 minutes. They are ready when the centres are no-longer dough but will still be very soft. Remove from the oven and leave them on the tray to cool for 5 minutes before transferring carefully to a wire rack to cool fully.
These gluten free double chocolate cookies taste amazing both when cooled and when still warm from the oven. My fave is scoffing one straight from the oven with a scoop of vanilla ice cream! So gooooood. These gluten free cookies will keep for up to 3 days in an airtight container, but of course are at their best on the day they have been baked.
If you enjoyed this gluten free double chocolate cookie recipe why not try one of my other gluten free bakes:
- White Chocolate Chunk Cookies
- Peanut Butter Stuffed Brownies
- Raspberry & Lemon Drizzle Tray Bake
- Epic Carrot Cake
Happy baking! x