This yummy feta, courgette and pesto puff pastry tart is a fab speedy meal option to try. It is packed with flavour and veggies. Crispy gluten free puff pastry, topped with courgette, pesto, feta and pine nuts before being finished with a handful of fresh salad leaves and fresh mint. The perfect summer meal!
I’ve used shop-bought gluten free puff pastry for the tart base, but feel free to make your own puff pastry from scratch if you prefer. I typically use the JusRol gluten free puff pastry, as it is readily available in UK supermarkets (in the refridgerated free from section). Asda also do a great gluten free ready-rolled puff pastry, which is worth trying if you spot it in your local stores.
I’ve also used shop-bought pesto, as this really is aimed at being a speedy meal you can grab in a hurry. However make from scratch if you prefer. You could even try my Wild Garlic Pesto recipe for a slightly different (yet equally delicious) flavour.
You can be quite flexible with the topping used in this tart, especially with the leaves used to finish it. I tend to sprinkle pea shoots and fresh, torn mint leaves over the top. However, any baby salad leaves, fresh basil leaves or rocket would be perfect toppings too.
Feta, Courgette & Pesto Puff Pastry Tart Recipe (GF)
This recipe makes a tart to serve 2 people for lunch/dinner. Or you could stretch it to 4 people as part of a spread with other dishes. You’ll find the method below, plus some photos to help guide you through the recipe.
If you enjoy this feta, courgette and pesto puff pastry tart, I would be really grateful if you could leave a star rating or review on the recipe card below. Thank you!
- 1 sheet (approx 280g) ready-to-roll gluten free puff pastry
- 1 large egg
- 2 courgettes (approx 350g)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 90g pesto
- 100g feta
- 15g pine nuts
- To finish: a handful of pea shoots (or baby leaf salad/rocket) and a few fresh mint leaves (or basil leaves)
- Preheat the oven to 180C (fan) and roll out the puff pastry on an oven tray lined with greaseproof paper (I use the paper the puff pastry comes rolled in to line the tray - simply roll out directly on the baking tray and cut off any excess paper at the ends). Set the tray aside.
- Grate the courgettes and add them to a small saucepan with the olive oil and a little salt and pepper. Cook for 5-10 minutes until the courgette is soft and any excess liquid has been cooked off.
- Back to the pastry, use a knife to gently score a border 1 inch wide around the edge of the tart. Then beat the egg and egg wash the border of the tart (this will help it to turn golden and crisp in the oven).
- Tip any leftover egg into the pan with the courgette and also add the pesto to the cooked courgette. Stir well to combine the ingredients.
- Use a fork to prick the base (the non-egg washed part) of the tart, then spread the pesto-egg-courgette mixture evenly over the pastry, leaving the borders clear (see images below).
- Sprinkle the crumbled feta and pine nuts evenly over the courgette base. Then place the tart into the oven to cook for 15-20 minutes, until the edges of the tart are puffed and golden.
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle pea shoots and torn mint leaves over the top before serving. Enjoy!
For more speedy meal ideas, please check out some of my other gluten free recipes while you are here:
- Nasi Goreng – Spicy Indonesian Fried Rice
- Spanish Chicken & Chorizo One Pot
- Thai Spiced Pork Rice Bowl
Enjoy! Laura xxx