Crumble is a classic British dessert and one that is easily made gluten free. Soft baked fruit underneath with a yummy sugar, flour and butter topping, if you’ve not tried crumble before them you are missing out! This blackberry and apple gluten free crumble recipe can easily be adapted if you wish to use other fruit too. Simply keep the overall fruit quantity the same.
Gluten free blackberry and apple crumble is perfect paired with a roast dinner, as you can prepare it in advance and then bung it in the oven when you take the roast out. Serve with custard, cream or a big scoop of your favourite ice cream and you will be in gluten free dessert heaven before you know it.
I used a blend of caster and soft brown sugar for the topping of this crumble, as I love the slightly caramelised flavour that the brown sugar lends the recipe. However, if you only have caster sugar that’s absolutely fine to use instead (i.e. 100g caster instead of 75g/25g split).
If you decide to try making this gluten free blackberry and apple crumble I would LOVE to see your home creations. Tag me on Instagram or send me your photos to @myglutenfreeguide (on Instagram) or email@example.com for a chance to be featured in my recipe round ups!
For the fruit:
- 500g peeled and cored cooking apples
- 130g blackberries
- 30g caster sugar (vanilla sugar ideal if you have it)
For the crumble topping:
- 220g gluten free plain flour
- 75g caster sugar
- 25g soft light brown sugar
- 100g unsalted butter
- Preheat the oven to 180C (fan).
- Chop the apple into small pieces and pop into a small, non-stick saucepan with the blackberries and 30g caster sugar. Cook over a medium heat for 10 minutes while you make the crumble topping. Stir occasionally to ensure the fruit is not sticking to the bottom of the pan. After the cooking time the fruit with be soften slightly and the sugar will be dissolved in the fruit juices.
- To make the crumble topping, pop the plain flour, caster sugar, brown sugar and butter in a mixing bowl. Make sure you have nice clean hands then use your fingers to bring all the ingredients together. Rub the butter into the flour and sugar, breaking up any big clumps until the mixture reassembles coarse breadcrumbs.
- You can use any sort of medium-sized baking dish, I used an oval Pyrex pie dish to get lots of crispy topping, but a deeper dish is also fine. Pour the fruit into the dish and spread evenly using a spoon. Next tip the crumble topping onto the fruit and spread it right to the edges.
- Pop the gluten free blackberry and apple crumble into the oven and bake for 35-40 minutes until golden on top. Serve with vanilla ice cream, greek yoghurt, custard or cream. Yummy!
I hope you enjoyed my gluten free blackberry and apple crumble! Here’s some more recipe inspiration in case you are looking for other dessert ideas:
Bon appetit! x