Loaded potato skins are the ultimate savoury comfort food. Crispy skins, soft potato and yummy toppings make these great both as a buffet addition or as a yummy dinner on the sofa.
These potato skins are a classic bacon and cheese variety, finished with cooling sour cream and chives. I cannot stop making and eating them! They are satisfyingly salty and comforting to eat.
I’ve used cheddar cheese for my potato skins, but any variety of hard, medium-flavour cheese would work nicely for these skins if you can’t get hold of cheddar. Gruyere, comte or emmental will give a less salty finish but a lovely texture, just be sure to add some seasoning if desired.
Can I Make a Veggie Version?
Yes why not try switching the bacon for spring onion, for a lush flavour contrast. Or go for double cheese, adding something like double gloucester to the mix.
How About a Dairy Free Version?
Easily done! Use dairy free butter/spread and cheese in place of the dairy ingredients and top with sweet chilli sauce instead of sour cream. Be sure to use a dairy free cheese that melts well, for the ultimate finish.
Cheese & Bacon Loaded Potato Skins Recipe
Recipe time! If you enjoy these loaded skins, I would be really grateful if you could review the recipe on the card below.
You’ll find a full method below along with some pictures to help you as you work through the recipe. Feel free to email me any questions or comments you might have – firstname.lastname@example.org – or DM me on social media @myglutenfreeguide.
- 4 medium-sized baking potatoes
- 1 tsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 20g salted butter
- 1 tbsp milk
- 120g cheddar cheese
- 150g unsmoked bacon, cut into small pieces
- To serve: sour cream or sour cream and chive dip, plus fresh chives (optional).
- Wash the potatoes and prick them with a fork. Cook them in the microwave for 10 minutes (you can just oven them if you prefer, but this step really cuts down baking time). While they are microwaving, preheat the oven to 180C (fan).
- Next, rub the potatoes with the olive oil and some salt and pepper. Place them on a tray and bake for 40 minutes (or until soft in the middle and crispy on the outside) at 180C.
- While the potatoes are baking, fry the bacon pieces until crisp, then set aside.
- Once baked, cut the potatoes in half and scoop most of the potato out of the skins and into a medium-sized bowl. Levae a little potato in the skins to help them hold their form.
- Add the butter, milk and a third (40g) of the cheese to the potato in the bowl and mash until smooth. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Add half the bacon to the mash and stir through.
- Now arrange the empty potato skins on a baking tray and refill them with the potato, cheese and bacon mix from the bowl.
- Top them with the remaining grated cheddar and the bacon pieces, before popping them under the grill for around 10 minutes or until the cheese is melted and bubbling.
- Finish the skins with a dollop of sour cream and a sprinkling of fresh chives. Enjoy while hot!
Oooh I’ve made myself hungry doing this write up, I might have to go and make myself some for dinner! But before I go, here are a few other gluten free recipes you might enjoy. Be sure to bookmark them:
Enjoy! Laura xxx