I have been playing around with a few different gluten free macaroni cheese recipes in recent weeks but hadn’t really found one that worked for me. Plus our oven broke recently so I needed to create my own version that could be grilled rather than baked.
The gluten free macaroni cheese recipe below is the result of my kitchen experiments and I am really pleased with it. You make the cheese sauce while the pasta cooks, then combine before popping under the grill for 10-15 minutes. Easy peasy!
Gluten Free Macaroni Cheese
- 250g gluten free macaroni pasta
- 50g salted butter
- 50g plain gluten free flour
- 450ml semi skimmed milk
- 100g full fat cream cheese
- 200g cheddar cheese, grated
- black pepper
- nutmeg (optional)
- Get your gluten free macaroni pasta cooking, per the instructions on the packet. While it cooks you can get started on the cheese sauce.
- In a small non-stick saucepan, melt the butter and then add the plain gluten free flour. Stir to combine and then cook over a medium-low heat for a couple of minutes until it is sizzling gently.
- Now keep the pan on the heat and gradually add the milk, 100ml at a time, whisking as you go to allow the ingredients to combine. The sauce will start to thicken gradually until you have a nice white sauce base.
- Next add the cream cheese and a good grating of black pepper to the saucepan. I also add a grating of nutmeg (approx 1/4 tsp) as I love the flavour and it gives this dish a lovely lift. You can easily omit it if you don’t have any in your store cupboard though. Stir well until the cream cheese has melted into the sauce.
- Finally add HALF (100g) of the grated cheddar to the sauce – we will save the rest for the topping – and stir it in. Taste you sauce and season with some more pepper and salt if you wish.
- Once the gluten free pasta is cooked, drain it and shake off any excess water. Pop the pasta back in the empty pasta pan and pour the cheese sauce over the top. Give it a really good stir to get the sauce mixed in to all the gluten free pasta tubes.
- Take a rectangular baking dish and tip the cheesy pasta into the dish. Level it out with a wooden spoon and then sprinkle the remaining 100g of grated cheddar cheese on top.
- Place under the grill for 10-15 minutes until the cheese on top has turned golden and crispy. Your gluten free macaroni cheese is then ready to serve – enjoy!
If you liked this gluten free macaroni cheese recipe why not try one of my other gluten free midweek meal ideas:
Bon appetit! x