I’ve been stuck in a lunchtime rut recently and want to get back to eating healthy gluten free meals rather than defaulting to toasties. Chickpeas are a brilliant healthy base for any meal and are naturally gluten free. This crispy spiced chickpea bowl is naturally gluten free and only takes 15 minutes to make, with very little prep needed.
Golden crispy chickpeas mix with sesame-packed zatar spice and paprika, then are topped with sweet red sauteed red onion, a minted yoghurt drizzle and creamy side of avocado. Yums!
If you are vegan or dairy free, switch the yoghurt out and try a tahini drizzle instead as that flavour combination would be equally delicious.
Zatar is readily available in supermarkets now but if you don’t have any handy try a tsp sesame seeds, 1 tsp cumin and half a tsp of oregano instead for a simple alternative.
Gluten Free Crispy Spiced Chickpea Bowl (Serves 1)
- 1 small red onion
- 1 tin chickpeas
- 1 tbsp olive oil (plus a little extra)
- Half an avocado, stoned and peeled
- 1 tsp paprika (smoked or plain both fine)
- 2 tsp zatar spice mix
- Pinch sea salt
- 1 tbsp plain yoghurt
- 1/4 of a lemon (if you have if, fine to omit if not)
- Half a tsp dried mint
- 1 small clove of garlic
- Peel and slice the red onion then pop in a frying pan over a medium heat with a little olive oil. Once sizzling, turn the heat down to medium-slow and slow cook for 5 minutes until soft and sweet.
- While the onion is cooking, prep the yoghurt drizzle. Combined a minced clove of garlic, 1 tbsp yoghurt, squeeze of lemon and half tsp of dried mint in a small ramekin, then set aside.
- Slice the avocado and place on your plate, ready for serving.
- Now, remove the onions from the pan and set aside for the moment. Turn the heat up to high under the frying pan and add 1 tbsp olive oil.
- Drain the chickpeas and give them a rinse. Shake of any excess liquid then add them to the hot pan. Fry over a high heat for 5 minutes, stirring every minute or so, until the outsides have turned a beautiful golden colour and are lightly crisped.
- Turn the heat down to medium and add the zatar, paprika and salt. Stir to coat the chickpeas then cook for a couple of minutes before turning off the heat and transferring the chickpeas on your plate or bowl next to the avocado.
- Top the crispy spiced chickpeas with the soft, sweet onions and garlicky yoghurt dressing, then eat straight away. Delicious!
If you enjoyed this recipe and are looking for more healthy gluten free meal ideas, why not try one of these:
Bon appetite! x