My gluten free spiced parsnip and carrot soup showcases some of this season’s finest veggies and is cheap and easy to make. Homemade soup tastes so much better than shop bought too and really is simple when you know how.
The use of curry powder in this soup gives a very subtle, favoursome spice, which is absolutely mild and won’t put off those who dislike heat. It gives a really yummy depth of flavour. Of course, if you are a spice fan try sprinkling some chilli flakes on top when you serve this soup to give it an extra kick!
I make this soup lovely and thick, but could can easily add more water if you want to stretch it out to 8+ portions, or serve some extra gluten free bread on the side.
Can I Freeze This Soup?
Yes it freezes really well and you can reheat it direct from frozen. I freeze in individual portions and defrost as and when needed. It’s very handy to have quick lunches you can grab from the freezer!
Spiced Parsnip & Carrot Soup Recipe
Now let’s get to the recipe! If you enjoy this soup, please do review the recipe on the card below. Also feel free to email me any questions or comments you might have – firstname.lastname@example.org – or DM me on social media @myglutenfreeguide.
- 25g butter
- 2 medium white onions
- 2 fat cloves garlic
- 1 tbsp mild/medium curry powder (check gluten free)
- 500g carrots
- 400g parsnips
- 1 litre gluten free veggie stock
- 200ml whole milk
- Take a large saucepan, roughly chop the onion and fry in a small drizzle of olive oil and the butter until the onion has started to soften (5 minutes). Peel the garlic cloves and crush them flat with the side of a large knife. Add them to the pan with the onion and fry on a medium heat for 2 minutes.
- Add the curry powder to the onion and garlic and cook for a couple of minutes until you start to get fragrant aromas.
- Peel the carrots and parsnips and chop into small chunks before adding them to the saucepan - stir well to mix.
- Now add the veggie stock and bring to the boil. Then turn the heat down to a gentle simmer, place the lid on the pot and leave to cook for 45 minutes until the carrots and parsnips are super soft.
- Using a hand blender stick, blitz the soup to turn it into a smooth puree. Add 200ml whole milk, warm the soup gently on the stove and season to taste. You may wish to add a little extra water to the soup if you prefer a thinner consistency, but I like a nice thick hearty soup :). Serve in big bowls with gluten free bread for dipping.
If you enjoyed this gluten free spiced parsnip and carrot soup recipe why not try one of my other tasty soups: