After receiving a couple of celeriac in our recent veg box deliveries, I’ve discovered a new love for celeriac soup. It’s gorgeously creamy, with a slight nutty flavour, and is a perfect winter warmer lunch with buttered gluten free bread.
My celeriac soup recipe is quick and easy to make and you should have most of the ingredients knocking around at home already. Make a quick batch for lunch and freeze any leftovers, or this soup will keep well in the fridge too for a couple of days.
I have used milk instead of cream in this recipe, to keep it on the lighter side. That way you still get a lovely velvety creaminess from this soup, but without the calorie-laden addition of cream.
Can I Use Other Veggies in this Soup?
Yes absolutely, feel free to add any extras you might need to use up from your veg drawer. Celery is a nice addition to the base for a boost of flavour, or feel free to use a couple of extra carrots. This will yield a slightly thinner soup, but it will still be delicious.
I have quite a few other soup varieties on this blog that you might like to try too: Roasted Butternut Squash, Spiced Carrot & Parsnip, Watercress, Pea & Ham Hock, Curried Sweet Potato Red Lentil & Carrot, and Asian-Style Chicken Noodle Soup.
Celeriac Soup Recipe
You will find the recipe for my creamy celeriac soup below and it’s a short and simple method to follow. However, if you need any help along the way please do DM me on social media (@myglutenfreeguide) or email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Also, if you do enjoy this recipe please leave a review on the recipe card below – it makes a world of difference to me :).
- 25g butter
- 1 medium white onion, roughly diced
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and chopped into small chunks
- 1 fat clove of garlic
- 600g celeriac, peeled and cut into small cubes
- 700ml stock (I use half chicken, half vegetable, but either are fine)
- 300ml semi-skimmed milk
- Black pepper
- Optional: nutmeg
- Take a medium-sized saucepan and add the butter, onion and carrot. Cook for 5 minutes over a medium heat until the onion has begun to soften.
- Add the minced garlic clove and celeriac to the pan, along with a good grating of black pepper, stir and cook for a couple of minutes.
- Pour the stock into the saucepan and bring to the boil, turn the heat down to low and leave the soup to simmer for 30 minutes.
- After this time the celeriac will be nice and soft. Use a hand blender to puree the vegetables until you have a thick, smooth soup.
- Add the milk to the pan, along with a grating of nutmeg (optional). Stir well to combine then heat for a minute or two to warm through. Season to taste, then serve :).
Serving suggestion: serve topped with pan fried sage leaves and pine nuts, and a side of buttered gluten free bread.
For more warming meal ideas, why not explore some of my other gluten free recipes while you are here:
- Roasted Butternut Squash Soup
- Cheese & Onion Quiche
- Baked Arancini with Melting Mozzarella Centres
- Homemade Pizza
- Perfect Pecan Pie
Enjoy! Laura xxx