This simple, but visually impressive gluten free side dish is guaranteed to brighten up your dinner table. Rainbow slaw is a great accompaniment for cooked meats and is ideal for summer barbecues or to serve with my gluten free satay chicken drumsticks, spare ribs or even my gluten free crab cakes. The peppery radish and sweet apple combine beautifully with the pepper, spring onions and cabbage, to create a refreshing and satisfyingly crunchy salad.
- 1/4 red cabbage
- 3 spring onions, topped and tailed
- 3 radishes, topped and tailed
- 1 small apple, cored
- 1 red pepper
- 1 yellow pepper
- 1 tsp mustard
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp cider vinegar
- 2 tsp dark brown sugar
- salt and pepper
- Take a large bowl and finely slice the red cabbage, spring onions, radishes and apple – adding them all the the bowl.
- Next, deseed the red and yellow peppers and remove any white pithy flesh, then use a vegetable peeler to slice them very finely. Add to the bowl and set the bowl aside.
- Take a new small bowl and add the mustard, olive oil, lemon juice, cider vinegar and brown sugar.
- Give the ingredients a really good stir to get rid of any lumps, then season to taste with the salt and pepper. You should have a zingy fresh dressing with a hint of sweetness.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and toss until everything is evenly covered.
- There you go! Beautiful, gluten free rainbow slaw. Either serve straightaway or cover with clingfilm and keep in the fridge until ready to use later that day.
For other gluten free side dish ideas, why not try one of these tasty recipes: