This rainbow slaw is a simple, but visually impressive gluten free side dish is guaranteed to brighten up your dinner table. Rainbow slaw is a great accompaniment for cooked meats, fish or braised tofu and is ideal for summer barbecues.
Red cabbage makes up the base, to which sweet pepper, radish, apple, and spring onions are added. Finished with an awesome homemade lemon-mustard dressing, it’s the perfect combination of sweet and zingy flavours and works with so many dishes.
Rainbow Slaw Recipe
Scroll down for my easy rainbow slaw recipe, which is naturally gluten free and dairy free. You will also find some helpful pictures to refer to while you are making the slaw.
- 1/4 of a red cabbage
- 3 spring onions, topped and tailed
- 6 radishes, topped and tailed
- 1 small apple, cored
- 1 red pepper
- 1 yellow/orange pepper
- 1 tsp mustard (wholegrain ideally, but any if fine)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp cider vinegar
- 2 tsp dark brown sugar
- Salt and pepper
- Take a large bowl and finely slice the red cabbage, spring onions, radishes and apple - adding them all the the bowl.
- Next, deseed the red and yellow peppers and remove any white pithy flesh, then use a vegetable peeler to slice them very finely. Or simply finely slice if using pointed peppers. Add to the bowl and set the bowl aside.
- Take a new small bowl and add the mustard, olive oil, lemon juice, cider vinegar and brown sugar.
Give the ingredients a really good stir to get rid of any lumps, then season to taste with the salt and pepper. You should have a zingy fresh dressing with a hint of sweetness.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and toss until everything is evenly covered.
- There you go! Beautiful, gluten free rainbow slaw. Either serve straightaway or cover with clingfilm and keep in the fridge until ready to use later that day.
For other gluten free side dish ideas, why not try one of these tasty recipes:
Enjoy! Laura x