Yummy yummy French toaaasst! Gluten free French toast is so easy to make once you know how and I’ve shared my simple recipe with you below. Once you’ve mastered this basic recipe you can top your gluten free French toast with with all sorts of things. I’ve used a tsp of chocolate spread on mine in these pictures, but it works so well with both sweet and savoury gluten free toppings.
Some sweet gluten free French toast ideas: honey and berries, maple syrup and creme fraiche, choc chips and chocolate sauce, white chocolate and raspberries, or even jam and fresh strawberries. Savoury gluten free French toast topping ideas: crispy bacon, avocado and chorizo, poached egg and baked beans, wilted spinach and panfried mushrooms, or filled with cheese or the best toastie of your life!
Have I made you hungry yet?! We had better get on to that recipe then :).
Gluten Free French Toast (Makes 1 slice of French toast)
My serving size recommendation would be two slices of French toast per person. I used the Sainsbury’s multiseed gluten free loaf here in my prep pictures, but if you were using much smaller pieces (like the Schar long life loaves in my main picture) you might be able to do one egg to two slices.
- A medium egg
- 1 tsp milk
- 1 slice gluten free bread
- Butter/oil for cooking
- Take a wide, shallow bowl (or high-sided plate) and crack the egg into it. Add the milk and gently whisk to combine.
- Place the slice of gluten free bread into the egg mixture and leave it there to soak for 1 minute. Then carefully flip the bread over and allow it to absorb all of the egg milk mixture for a couple of minutes.
- Heat your frying pan over a medium heat and add a knob of butter or tsp oil. Butter gives a nicer flavour but oil works just as well.
- Slide the egg-soaked bread into the hot pan and cook for 2 minutes on the first side then a further 1-2 minutes on the other side until the bread has coloured nicely and puffed up slightly. It will feel quite firm to the touch.
- Transfer to a plate, add your topping of choice then serve immediately. Deeelish!
If you enjoyed my gluten free French toast recipe why not give one of my other gluten free brunch recipes a go:
- Shakshuka Baked Eggs
- Blueberry Pancakes
- Avotoast with Pomegranate & Feta
- Banana Oat Pancakes
- Eggs in Bread Baskets
Bon appetit! x