I whipped this gluten free cheesy potato rosti recipe up for my lunch recently and it was DELIGHTFUL! I don’t think I will ever be able to go back to plain potato rostis now that I have had this cheesy variety.
Naturally gluten free, these rostis only use three ingredients plus some salt and pepper, making them a cheap dish to make for the whole family. I have included a serving suggestion as a delicious brunch or lunch dish, with spicy chorizo, fried egg and avocado, but you could serve these with all sorts. Have them as a gluten free side dish at dinner time or serve up as part of a full English breakfast.
Cheesy Potato Rosti (Serves 2 – makes 8 rostis)
- 450g potato
- 1 large white onion
- Salt and pepper
- 100g cheddar cheese
- Knob of butter
Optional serving suggestion:
- 80g chorizo
- 2 eggs
- 1 small avocado
- Finely dice the onion and soften in saucepan, over a medium heat, until translucent. Then transfer the cooked onion to a large mixing bowl.
- There is no need to peel the potatoes, simply give them a good wash and then grate them (on the large grater setting) directly into the mixing bowl on top of the onion. Season with a pinch of salt and a good grinding of black pepper and mix well.
- Now grate the cheddar cheese into the bowl and give everything a really good stir to ensure the potato, onion and cheese are evenly mixed.
- Add the knob of butter to a large frying pan and place over the a medium heat. Use you hands to shape the rosti mix into balls, then place 3-4 at a time into the pan (depending on how big your frying pan is) and press down with a spatula. You want them to be roughly 10cm across. Fry on the first side for 2 minutes, then press down with the spatula, before cooking for another 3 minutes – this will ensure the melted cheese binds everything together. Then flip and cook for 5 minutes on the other side, until both sides of the rosti are golden and crisp.
- Serve with fried egg and crumbled cooked chorizo on top, with a side of sliced avocado. Yummy!
If you enjoyed this cheesy potato rosti recipe why not try on of my other gluten free brunch recipes: