I whipped up this gluten free salmon pasta one day in order to use up some leftover smoked salmon that was knocking around in the fridge. It turned out to be very tasty and is now firmly on our mid-week meal recipe list.
Of course, the smoked salmon doesn’t need to be leftovers and you can vary the amount use depending on how much you have, just adjust the other quantities accordingly.
Hot smoked salmon fillets would be a good alternative too, you want something a bit smoky to help lend its flavour to the sauce. Simply flake the fillet into the pan along with the mascarpone, lemon zest and black pepper as the final stage.
Salmon, Spring Onion, Asparagus & Macarpone Pasta Recipe (GF)
This recipe serves two people – simply double the quantities if you are cooking for four (or triple for six etc) or halve it for one person.
Salmon, Spring Onion, Asparagus and Mascarpone Pasta (GF)
- 4 spring onions, chopped finely
- 6 spears asparagus, chopped into short lengths (3cm) (tenderstem broccoli is a great alternative, slice the stalks into rounds and the tops into small florets)
- Olive oil
- 150g smoked salmon (or whatever quantity you have to use up), sliced into strips
- Milled black pepper
- 200g gluten free pasta (any shape will do, although avoid penne as the tubes will end up full of the sauce - I love linguini for this dish)
- 2 heaped tablespoons of mascarpone
- Zest of half a lemon (plus extra to garnish)
- Prepare your pasta per the instructions on the packet. Then in the meantime, start making the sauce.
- Take a frying pan and add a little olive oil, then add the chopped spring onions and asparagus pieces and cook for about 5 minutes (over a fairly high heat, stirring regularly) until the asparagus turns bright green.
- Then add the salmon strips and cook lightly until they start to turn slightly opaque. Only cook for 1-2 minutes, otherwise they will start to crumble.
- Next add the mascarpone, lemon zest and milled black pepper, stir all together - heat for 2 minutes, before taking the sauce off the heat.
- Drain your pasta and add to the pan with the sauce, stirring to coat the pasta, season to taste. Then ladle into bowls and finish with extra lemon zest and black pepper if you wish. Dinner is served!
I tweaked this recipe slightly in October 2022, here is the previous version for any fans of the original:
4 spring onions, chopped finely
150g smoked salmon (or whatever quantity you have to use up), sliced into strips
6 spears asparagus, chopped into short lengths (3cm)
Milled black pepper
200g gluten free pasta (any shape will do, although avoid penne as the tubes will end up full of the sauce)
Heaped tablespoon mascarpone
Zest of half a lemon
Take a wok and add a little olive oil, then add the chopped spring onions and cook for 5 minutes until soft.
If you liked this gluten free meal idea, why not try one of my other easy gluten free recipes:
- Sweet Potato & Halloumi Fritters
- Blueberry American-Style Pancakes
- Primavera Risotto with a Pancetta Crumb