Treat yourself to these turkey burgers with bacon, brie and cranberry sauce, as a fun festive fakeaway treat. With most restaurants in the UK closed at the moment, we have been getting creative with some home cooking and this Christmassy treat really hits the spot.
At the centre is a succulent gluten free turkey burger, which is a healthier alternative to the classic beef burger. It is seasoned with some herbs and spices to give it extra flavour and is very easy to make.
You then top the turkey burgers with melted brie, crispy bacon, a generous spoonful of cranberry sauce, and it is served in a gluten free bun with some salad or rocket to finish it. I served mine with gluten free onion rings and chips from Mash Direct too.
Which Gluten Free Burger Buns Are Best?
I used two varieties of burger buns for this batch – my usual go to, Genius Brioche Buns, and a new find the Tesco Gluten Free Brioche Buns. The latter worked the best as they had a better structure and were good value too. I lightly toasted them before building the burger.
Other good buns to try are the Morrisons own brand free from rolls (plus at £1 for four they are fantastic value) and Schar ciabatta rolls (always a fave of mine). Also, the Juvela fresh rolls would be fab for these, although they are quite hard to get hold of if you don’t have a prescription.
Gluten Free Turkey Burgers with Bacon, Brie & Cranberry Recipe (GF)
Now let’s get to the yummy recipe shall we! If you enjoy these festive turkey burgers, please do review the recipe on the card below. Also feel free to email me any questions or comments you might have – firstname.lastname@example.org – or DM me on social media @myglutenfreeguide. Ooh, also send photos of your creations please!
Enjoy! Laura xxx
- 1 small red onion
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 500g turkey mince (2 per cent fat)
- 25g gluten free breadcrumbs
- 1 medium egg
- 1 garlic clove
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- 0.5 tsp ground paprika
- 0.5 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp gluten free Worcestershire sauce/Henderson’s relish (optional)
- 4 gluten free burger buns
- 4 slices brie
- 8 rashers unsmoked streaky bacon
- 4 tsp cranberry sauce
- A large handful of rocket or mixed baby leaves
- To make the turkey burgers, finely dice the onion and cook over a medium-low heat with the parsley until soft and translucent. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Add the turkey mince, breadcrumbs, egg, garlic (minced), salt and pepper, paprika, cumin and Worcestershire sauce to the bowl. Use you hands to squish and mix everything together for a few minutes until you have a well-combined burger mix.
- Divide the burger mix into four pieces and form each into a burger patty shape using your hands.
- Place the patties into a large pan with a little olive oil and cook over a low heat for 15-20 minutes, flipping every few minutes to ensure even-cooking through the centre.
- Cook the bacon in the same pan if you have space, or a second smaller frying pan, and set aside once crispy.
- Slice the buns in half and toast for a couple of minutes to refresh the bread. Meanwhile, pop a slice of brie onto each burger and heat in the pan for a couple of minutes until the cheese begins to melt. Now you can assemble the feast!
- For each burger, place half a bun on a plate and top with a few rocket/salad leaves. Then carefully position the turkey burger and brie on top, followed by two pieces of bacon. Spread 1 tsp of cranberry sauce on the other half of the bun and pop it onto the burger. Serve with gluten free chips and onion rings for the ultimate festive fakeaway feast!
For more tasty festive recipes, have a look at this yummy selection while you are here:
Have a wonderful Christmas!