We love a veggie dinner and these Mexican sweet potato skins are such a satisfying meal. Crispy skin and soft sweet potato filling, topped with a Mexican-inspired mix of black beans, pepper, sweetcorn and spices. Finish with cheese, grill and serve with fresh rocket and dips. These skins are delicious and much healthier than classic loaded potato skins.
This recipe is naturally gluten free, plus it can easily be adapted to be dairy free of vegan if needed. Simply switch the small quantity of milk for a plant based milk, and the grated cheddar for a dairy free variety. Extra guacamole instead of sour cream and you’re away!
We’ve been eating these for lunch and dinner recently with salad, but they would be great for a buffet or party spread too. To prep them in advance, simply hold off on the grilling until you are almost ready to serve. This will reheat the Mexican sweet potato skins nicely and ensure you’ve got lots of yummy melted cheese when they are dished up.
Mexican Sweet Potato Skins Recipe
- 1 kg sweet potatoes
- 1 tbsp milk
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 3 spring onions, chopped
- 100g red bell pepper, diced
- 200g canned black beans, rinsed
- 100g sweetcorn kernels
- 50 cheddar cheese
- Optional: 50g red jalepenos (I use the Discovery jarred variety), chopped
- To serve: a large handful of rocket leaves, plus tomato salsa, sour cream and guacamole dips.
- Place the sweet potatoes onto a baking tray and bake in the oven at 180C (fan) for 50 minutes or until soft.
- Remove the potatoes from the oven and carefully slice them in half lengthways. Allow to cool slightly while you make the topping.
- Add the spring onion, red pepper, cumin, smoked paprika and coriander to a small pan with a little olive oil. Cook for 5 minutes over a medium heat until the spring onion and pepper have softened slightly.
- Add the black beans and sweetcorn to the pan, mix well to combine and cook for a couple of minutes, before taking off the heat and setting aside.
- Back to the sweet potatoes. Scoop most of the flesh out of the sweet potatoes (careful not to break the skins) into a bowl. Add the milk and mash with a fork until fairly smooth. Now transfer the mash back into the skins, levelling them on top so they have a flat surface for the topping.
- Spoon the Mexican bean topping onto the sweet potato skins, distributing so that each has a good amount of topping. Sprinkle them with the grated cheddar, then season with some salt and pepper (if you want to include the jalepenos, add them at this stage - I love them on these sweet potato skins, then add such a nice zing and a little bit of heat). Place them under the oven grill for 5 minutes or as long as needed until the cheese is melted and bubbling.
- To serve: for individual portions, place a couple of skins in each bowl with some rocket leaves and dollops of dip. For a platter, scatter the rocket leaves over the base, top with the potato skins, then place dip pots at the side for people to help themselves to. Yummy!
For more tasty meal ideas, why not check out some of my other gluten free vegetarian recipes:
- Red Pepper Spanish Tortilla with Lemon Aioli
- Paneer & Green Lentil Curry
- Sweet Potato & Halloumi Fritters
Enjoy! Laura xxx