My gluten free rocky road cookies are perfect for autumn with their combination of cookie, chocolate chunks and mini marshmallows mmm mmm. These soft American-style cookies are so good my friends couldn’t tell that they were gluten free! With a soft centre and crispy edges, these gluten free rocky road cookies are dangerously moreish yet super easy and quick to whip up.
Gluten Free Rocky Road Cookies (Makes 12)
- 170g salted butter
- 200g light brown sugar
- 100g caster sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 large egg + 1 egg yolk
- 150g gluten free plain flour
- 200g gluten free self raising flour
- 50g cocoa powder
- 0.5 tsp xanthan gum
- 150g white chocolate
- 30g mini marshmallows
- Preheat your oven to 180C (fan oven).
- Melt the butter in a microwave for approx 30-40 seconds, until just liquid. There might still be a few small lumps when you take it out, but give the melted butter a stir until these have melted too.
- Add the light brown sugar and caster sugar to the warm butter, stir them well to combine.
- Now the vanilla essence, egg and egg yolk are added to the butter sugar mixture. Mix well until a smooth batter has formed.
- Take a second bowl and add the plain gluten free flour, gluten free self raising flour, cocoa and xanthan gum, stirring to fully combine them.
- Pour the batter mix into the bowl with the dry ingredients and mix with a wooden spoon until you have a soft sticky cookie dough. Leave to stand for 10 minutes to allow the flours to absorb some of the liquid in the dough.
- After resting, mix the dough again and it should now come away from the sides of the bowl as you mix. If it is too dry add a tablespoon of milk, if too sticky add a tablespoon of gluten free flour (and continue adjusting until you have the right consistency).
- Chop the white chocolate into rough chunks and then stir into the cookie dough until it is evenly distributed.
- Line two baking trays with greaseproof paper. Divide the cookie dough into 12 pieces, roll into balls and place 6 balls on each baking tray.
- Place a few mini marshmallows on top of each ball and press down gently until the raw cookies are around 1.5cm thick. You could mix the marshmallows into the cookie dough itself if you prefer but this leads to some messy (yet also delicious) cookie splodging in the oven as the marshmallows expand during cooking.
- Pop them into the oven to bake for 10-12 minutes. They are ready when the centres are no-longer dough but will still be very soft. Remove from the oven and leave them on the tray to cool for 5 minutes before transferring carefully to a wire rack to cool fully.
These gluten free rocky road cookies taste amazing both when cooled and when still warm from the oven, but beware the mega hot marshmallows as they take a while to cool. They will keep for up to 3 days in an airtight container, but of course are at their best on the day of baking.
If you enjoyed this gluten free rocky road cookie recipe why not try one of my other gluten free bakes:
- Double Chocolate Cookies
- Peanut Butter Stuffed Brownies
- Dulche de Leche Cheesecake
- Epic Carrot Cake
Happy baking! x