I am a sucker for lemon sweet treats and my gluten free lemon curd and poppyseed cupcakes are no exception to this rule. With a hidden lemon curd centre, super soft gluten free sponge and creamy swirl of buttercream icing, these cupcakes are perfect for bake sales, afternoon treats and birthday celebrations alike.
Gluten Free Lemon Curd & Poppyseed Cupcakes (Makes 12)
For the cupcakes
- 200g salted butter
- 200g golden caster sugar
- 3 large eggs
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 3 tsp poppyseeds
- 200g gluten free self-raising flour (I use Dove’s Farm)
- 1tsp gluten free baking powder
- A quarter tsp of xanthan gum
- Good quality lemon curd (you will need approx half a jar)
For the buttercream and topping
- 150g salted butter
- 210g icing sugar
- Preheat the oven to 180C (fan).
- If you have a food processor, combine all the cake ingredients in the blender bowl and whizz until you have a smooth cake mix. Not to worry if you don’t have a blender – this gluten free cupcake recipe can be made just as well using human power! In a large bowl, cream the butter and the sugar until smooth. Then add the eggs one at a time, combined well after each. Finally, sift in the flour, baking powder and xanthan gum and mix for a few minutes until everything is perfectly smooth.
- Add the lemon zest and poppy seeds, stirring well to ensure they are distributed evenly throughout the gluten free cupcake batter.
- Line a cupcake or muffin tray with cupcake cases.
- Divide the gluten free cupcake mixture between the cases, so that each is filled to about 2/3 of the way up the case.
- Bake for approximately 20 minutes, until your cake tester comes out clean from the centre of your test cupcake.
- Gentlly take the gluten free cupcakes out of the tray and onto a wire cooling rack. Leave to cool completely.
- Once cooled, use a teaspoon to gently scoop out a small hole in the centre of each cupcake. Set the cake plug for each cupcake aside next to the original cupcake, as these will go back in once we have filled the centre. Gently spoon a teaspoon of lemon curd into each cupcake, then replace the cake plug on top. Now you have created a zingy lemon centre, you can get ready to add that lovely creamy frosting.
- To make the buttercream, simply beat the butter in a bowl until smooth, then add the icing sugar and vanilla bean paste. Mix well until smooth and fluffy. Use a small palette knife to spread the buttercream on top of the cooled gluten free cupcakes or pipe if you are feeling fancy!
If you liked these gluten free lemon & poppyseed cupcakes, why not try some of my other gluten free bakes: