I am a sucker for lemon sweet treats and my gluten free lemon curd and poppyseed cupcakes are no exception to this rule. With a hidden lemon curd centre, super soft gluten free sponge and creamy swirl of buttercream icing, these cupcakes are perfect for bake sales, afternoon treats and birthday celebrations alike.
I’ve recently reworked this recipe to give these cupcakes an extra boost of lemon, but if you enjoyed the previous recipe be reassured that the bones of its remain the same. There’s now an addition of lemon curd to the icing, plus extra lemon in the sponge.
I topped my latest batch with edible cornflowers from my garden and I love the blue-yellow colour contrast! However a sprinkle of poppy seeds and grating of lemon zest is a beautiful finish for these too.
Gluten Free Lemon & Poppyseed Cupcakes (Makes 12)
This recipe makes 12 cupcakes. You’ll find a full method below, plus some photos to help guide you through the recipe. However, feel free to email me any questions or comments you might have. You can contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org or message me on Instagram/Facebook @myglutenfreeguide. I love seeing your home bakes too so please send me photos of your creations :).
Lastly, if you enjoy this recipe, I would be really grateful if you could leave a star rating or review on the recipe card below. Thank you!
For the cupcakes:
- 200g salted butter
- 200g caster sugar
- 3 large eggs
- Zest 1 lemon
- 200g gluten free self raising flour (I used FREEE by Doves Farm)
- 1 tsp gluten free baking powder
- 0.5 tsp xanthan gum
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 3 tsp poppy seeds
- Lemon curd for lemony centres (approx half a jar)
For the buttercream:
- 150g butter
- 310g icing sugar
- 2 tbsp lemon curd
- 3-4 tbsp milk
- Preheat the oven to 180C (fan) and line a muffin tray with 12 cupcake cases.
- If you have a food processor, combine all the cake ingredients (butter, caster sugar, eggs, zest of 1 lemon, poppy seeds, self-raising flour, baking powder, xanthan gum and lemon juice) in the blender bowl and whizz until you have a smooth cake mix.
- OR if you don't have a blender - in a large bowl, cream the butter and the sugar until smooth. Then add the eggs one at a time, combining well after each. Then add the lemon juice and lemon zest and stir to combine. Finally, sift in the flour, baking powder and xanthan gum and add the poppy seeds - mix for a few minutes until everything is perfectly smooth.
- Divide the gluten free cupcake mixture between the cases, so that each is filled to about 2/3 of the way up the case. Bake for approximately 18-20 minutes, until your cake tester comes out clean from the centre of your test cupcake.
- Gently take the gluten free cupcakes out of the tray and transfer to a wire cooling rack. Leave to cool completely.
- Once cooled, use a teaspoon to gently scoop out a small hole in the centre of each cupcake. Set the cake plug for each cupcake aside next to the original cupcake, as these will go back in once we have filled the centre. Gently spoon a teaspoon of lemon curd into each cupcake, then replace the cake plug on top. Now you have created a zingy lemon centre, you can get ready to add that lovely creamy frosting.
- To make the buttercream, simply beat the butter in a bowl until smooth, then add the icing sugar and beat until you have a smooth, pale buttercream.
- Add the lemon curd, then gradually add the milk until you have achieved a nice consistency that you can pipe or spread (you may not need all the milk, so do 1 tbsp at a time).
- Use a piping bag or small palette knife to top the cupcakes with buttercream. Decorate with a sprinkle of poppy seeds or edible flowers if you are feeling fancy!
If you liked these gluten free lemon & poppyseed cupcakes, why not try some of my other gluten free bakes: