A festive twist on classic rocky road, this tasty no bake treat is packed full of gluten free biscuits, marshmallows, cranberries and pistachios. All nestled in a rich chocolately base, topped with white chocolate and even more goodies. This rocky road is SERIOUSLY good!
I’ve topped my rocky road with cute chocolate figures, the KitKat Festive Friends. In the UK these are gluten free (if you live elsewhere please check the label if you find then, just in case the ingredients are different).
However, you can use any festive chocolate shapes, or even omit these and top with sugar sprinkles or chocolate swirls instead.
This is a lovely treat to make then stash in the fridge, as it lasts well for up to a week. Either share with friends and family or enjoy with cuppas over the course of a few days. It’s Christmas after all, you’ve got to treat yourself!
I Can’t Have Pistachios, Can I Skip These?
Absolutely. If you are allergic to nuts or simply don’t like them, feel free to skip them. Or if you want to try a differnet variety of nut, pecans or walnuts would be gorgeous in this rocky road.
And What About the Cranberries?
Again, feel free to sub or skip these if you prefer. They are lovely for a bit of a festive feel (and I adore the tartness of dried cranberries), but raisins would be a perfect alternative…or extra marshmallows :).
Can I Use Any Biscuits?
I used a couple of varieties of Schar biscuits, their gluten free Rich Tea and Viennese Biscuits, as I had them in my storecupboard. They were both perfect, but you could also tried shortbread, digestives or even gluten free oreos or bourbons.
Gluten Free Festive Rocky Road Recipe
This gluten free rocky road recipe makes about 16-20 pieces, depending on how large you cut them. It’s quite rich and chocolately so I cut fairly small squares…you can always eat two if you fancy a bit more indulgence!
You’ll find a full method below, plus photos to guide you. Feel free to email me any questions or comments you might have. You can contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org or message me on Instagram/Facebook @myglutenfreeguide.
Lastly, if you enjoy this rocky road, I would be really grateful if you could leave a star rating or review on the recipe card below. Thank you!
A fun festive spin on classic rocky road, with a "snowy" white chocolate topping on a base of chocolate, marshmallows, gluten free biscuit pieces, pistachios and cranberries. No bake recipe.
- 200g gluten free biscuits (I used Schar Rich Tea and Viennese Biscuits)
- 100g mini marhsmallows
- 80g dried cranberries
- 80g whole, shelled pistachios
- 250g milk chocolate
- 250g dark chocolate
- 170g unsalted butter
- 120ml golden syrup
- 250g white chocolate
- Optional: red/green food gel colouring, KitKat Festive Friends x 20, festive sprinkles
- Line a tin (approx 23cm square) with non-stick greaseproof paper and set aside.
- Crush the gluten free biscuits into pieces and add to a large bowl, along with the mini marshmallow, dried cranberries and pistachios.
- Melt the milk chocolate,dark chocolate, unsalted butter and golden syrup together in a saucepan. Once fully molten, pour into the bowl with the biscuits and other bits.
- Mix everything together then tip into your tin, press down with a fork and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Melt the white chocolate (I do this in the microwave, heating in 30 second blasts and stirring in between). Set 2 tsp of choc aside and mix one with a red food gel colouring, to create red coloured chocolate, and the other with green food colouring to create green.
- Pour the bulk of the white chocolate over the rocky road, then drizzle and splatter the coloured chocolate over the surface, using a fork to gently swirl it and create a festive pattern.
- To finish, scatter with festive sprinkles and place 20 KitKat Festive Friends/mini santas/other chocolate treats evenly over the top of the rocky road (so that when you cut it into squares each piece has a chocolate in the centre). Then transfer the tray back to the fridge until fully set (approx 1.5 hours).
- Once chilled, use a warm knife to cut the rocky road into 20 pieces. You can either serve immediately or store in the fridge for up to a week.
For more festive treats, why not try some of my other gluten free recipes:
Enjoy! Laura xxx