Perfect for lunch boxes, picnics, speedy lunches or a snack on-the-go, these gluten free savoury muffins are a great recipe to have on your armoury.
I’ve been playing around with a few savoury muffin varieties recently and this vegetarian pesto, sun-dried tomato and cheddar cheese variety is one of my faves.
They are full of flavour, with pesto mixed through the muffin and studded with juicy sun-dried tomato and grated cheddar. I can’t help but gobble them up as soon as I have baked them!
These muffins are best eaten hot from the oven, but if you want to have them a couple of days later simply give each a quick 15-20 second blast in the microwave they’ll be good as fresh.
If you are making for younger children, you may want to omit the salt from the recipe. The muffins will still have plenty of flavour. Equally, you can omit the sun-dried tomato if you have picky kids who spot hidden veg, a pesto cheese variety would be just as yummy.
Pesto, Sun-dried Tomato & Cheddar Savoury Muffins (Makes 12)
- 320g plain gluten free flour
- 3 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 0.5 tsp salt
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 large eggs
- 220ml milk
- 60ml natural yoghurt
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 50ml vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp pesto
- 150g cheddar cheese
- 8 sundried tomatoes, finely chopped
- Preheat the over to 170C (fan) and line a 12-hole muffin tin with muffin cases.
- Sift the gluten free flour, bicarbonate of soda, salt and garlic powder into a large bowl. Stir well to ensure the bicarb is distributed evenly throughout the flour and then set the bowl aside.
- In a second bowl, mix the eggs, milk, yoghurt, lemon juice, vegetable oil and pesto until they are well combined.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the bowl with the dry ingredients and beat with a wooden spoon or spatula until you have a smooth batter.
- Grate the cheddar cheese onto the batter and add the chopped sun-dried tomato. Stir both through the mixture until they are distributed evenly.
- Spoon the muffin batter into the muffin cases and bake at 170C (fan) for 25 minutes.
- Eat warm from the oven to have them at their most delicious!
For more easy gluten free lunch ideas, why not try one of these tasty recipes: