A staple meal in our house, this is a lovely gluten free fish dish that you can either serve to friends or savour as a midweek supper. It is quick and easy to make and is a lighter alternative to fish and potatoes, packed with flavour and delicious ingredients.
Gluten Free Fish Dish – Cod with Peas, Lentils and Pancetta (Serves 2)
- 2 portions of cod loin
- 2 leeks
- 1 packet pancetta cubes (the Waitrose pancetta cubes are my favourite)
- Green lentils (tinned)
- 150g peas (fresh or frozen)
- 175ml white wine
- Knob of butter
- 3 tbsp plain gluten free flour
- Salt and black pepper
- 1 lemon
- In a wok, fry the pancetta pieces in a little olive oil until they are cooked and the fat has turned crispy. Pour off any excess oil.
- Wash and top and tail the leeks. Halve them lengthways and then cut into thin slices across the round. Add the leeks to the pancetta in the wok, turning the heat down to medium-low. Stir and cook until the leeks have softened nicely.
- Add the frozen peas and drained, rinsed green lentils to the wok. Add the white wine and some salt and pepper, then leave to cook gently over a low heat while you prepare the fish.
- Sprinkle the gluten free flour onto a dinner plate and add a sprinkling of salt and grating of black pepper. Place the pieces of cod loin in the flour and turn them over a few times to ensure the fish is well-coated. There should be a layer of flour all over the fish.
- Heat the butter in a frying pan. Then gently place the cod into the pan – it should sizzle slightly. Cook for a few minutes on each side until the fish has taken on a lovely golden colour and is cooked through. To check whether the fish is cooked, prize a knife into the thickest part of the fish. If the flesh is translucent it needs a little more cooking, but if white and flaky it is ready to serve.
- To serve, take two large bowls and split the pea/lentil/bacon/leek mix between them. Place a piece of cod atop each and serve with a wedge of lemon (for squeezing over the fish).
There you have it! A healthy, gluten free fish supper. If you like this recipe, why not try one of my other gluten free midweek meal recipes, such as:
- Halloumi and pomegranate tray bake
- Butternut squash and pancetta risotto
- Sizzling chorizo pasta sauce