Revamped and even more delicious than before, these honey harissa halloumi and aubergine burgers are SO GOOD. You can make it all in a single pan, making this a perfect recipe for that summer burger treat without having to fire up the BBQ.
Caramelised red onions, sticky honey glazed halloumi and juicy harissa-spiced aubergine make up this amazing vegetarian burger option, finished with a dollop of sweet chilli jam (I use this Stokes one). Meat eaters will want to get stuck in too, I would happily swap my regular beef burger choice for one of these.
If you are gluten free like me, be sure to use a gluten free burger bun. Then serve with a fresh salad and side of sweet potato wedges if you are feeling hungry. I made mine in the air fryer, super quick and simple.
For the wedges, I simply sliced up a sweet potato, rubbed the wedges with olive oil then airfried for 15 minutes at 180C.
Honey Harissa Halloumi and Aubergine Burgers Recipe
Below you will find the easy recipe for these honey harissa halloumi and aubergine burgers. I hope you love them!
If you have any questions while you are making them, you can contact me on Instagram @myglutenfreeguide or via email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please do leave a review on the recipe card below if you make and enjoy them, I’d be ever so grateful!
These vegetarian burgers are so delicious even the meat-eaters will be drooling. Sticky honey halloumi, harissa aubergine slices, caramelised red onion and sweet chilli jam.
- 2 gluten free burger buns
- 1 red onion
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp rose harissa
- 1 small aubergine
- 1 block halloumi (250g)
- A drizzle of honey (approx 1 tbsp)
- 2 heaped tsp sweet chilli jam
- To serve: salad and sweet potato wedges
- Finely slice the red onion and add to a large pan with 1 tbsp olive oil. Fry for 5 minutes over a medium heat, until beginning to soften.
- Slice the aubergine into rounds - you want 3 or 4 for each burger, approximately 1 cm thick. Add them to a small bowl and pour over 2 tbsp olive oil and the rose harissa. Mix together and rub the harissa and oil into the aubergines.
- Push the onions to one side in the pan and lay the aubergine slices out to cook. Cook for about 10 minutes until softened, turning occasionally.
- Cut the halloumi into slices and add to the pan with the last tbsp olive oil. Cook until golden on both sides, then drizzle the halloumi and aubergine with the honey and cook for a couple of minutes until lovely and sticky.
- To assemble the burgers, cut the buns in half then lay the onions on the bottom half of each bun. Top with the aubergine, then the halloumi. Spread sweet chilli jam on the underside of the bun lid, then place on top of the burger. Enjoy!
If you enjoyed this recipe why not try some of my other gluten free vegetarian meal ideas:
- Aubergine Parmigiana
- Easy Traybake Supper with Halloumi, Pomegranate and Minted Garlic Yoghurt Dressing
- Celeriac Rostis with Pea Puree and Crispy Spring Onions
Happy cooking! Laura xxx