The ultimate retro treat, I have been craving brandy snaps for years and finally got round to creating a gluten free brandy snap recipe over the Christmas period last year.
The best news – gluten free brandy snaps work brilliantly! I was so pleased with how these turned out and made quite a few batches to get the recipe just right (and so I could eat LOADS of them in the process).
You can have them plain, dip them in chocolate or even fill them with cream and strawberries for an amazing dessert or afternoon tea treat.
Did you Say Chocolate Dipped and Cream Filled?! Tell Me More!
Very easy to do and oh so delicious to eat! Once you have made the brandy snaps, leave them to cool and firm up completely. Then it’s simply, melt some chocolate of your choice (milk or dark are my faves), dip each end of a brandy snap into the chocolate and leave to set on a piece of greaseproof paper.
Once the chocolate has set, whip some cream and use a piping bag to fill the centres of the brandy snaps with whipped cream. Serve immediately, as if you leave them for too long the cream can make the bandy snap start to go soggy.
Can I Make Brandy Snap Baskets with This Recipe?
Absolutely! I’ve created a classic tube brandy snap shape, but if you prefer to make brandy snap baskets simply use and upturned, lightly greased muffin tin to shape each basket.
Gluten Free Brandy Snaps Recipe
Now let’s get to that base gluten free brandy snaps recipe shall we! If you enjoy munching these as much as me, please do review the recipe on the card below. Also feel free to email me any questions or comments you might have – firstname.lastname@example.org – or DM me on social media @myglutenfreeguide. Ooh, also send photos of brandy snap creations please!
You’ll find my method below, with plenty of pictures to help guide you.
Happy Baking! Laura xxx
- 60g soft light brown sugar
- 60g golden syrup
- 60g unsalted butter
- 0.5 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 55g gluten free plain flour
- Preheat the oven to 180C, then while the oven is heating up you can prepare the brandy snap mixture.
- In a small saucepan, melt the butter then add the sugar and golden syrup and stir over a low heat until the sugar has dissolved (about 15 minutes) and the mixture is completely smooth.
- Sift the gluten free flour and ginger into the saucepan and stir to combine with the liquid ingredients. Finally, add the lemon juice, give everything a real good stir and set the pan aside to cool for 10 minutes. You want to mixture to cool from a running liquid to a thick paste that you can work with.
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper and use a teaspoon to scoop three small balls of the brandy snap mixture, rolling them between your palms to even out the shape if possible (the mixture will be very soft), then place each ball onto the tray. Be sure to leave a good amount of space between the balls as they will spread out completely during cooking.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes until each ball has spread to flat circles, turned golden brown and small bubbles have formed and popped on the surface, leaving a lace-like texture. Remove from the oven and use the handle of a wooden spoon to shape the brand snaps - roll the brandy snap loosely around the spoon, press the edges together to create a join, wiggle it around until it has cooled into shape and then slide onto a wire rack to cool. If any of the other circles cool too much in the meantime you can pop them back into the oven for a minute to soften them up.
- Repeat steps 4 and 5 with the rest of the mixture until you have used it all. You can then either serve immediately or pop them in an airtight tin for later.
If you enjoyed this recipe why not try making one of my other gluten free sweet treats or biscuits:
- Shortbread Biscuits
- Pumpkin Spice Cookies
- Triple Chocolate Truffles
- Double Chocolate Pretzels
- Christmas Pudding Truffles
Enjoy! Laura xxx