These extremely versatile banana pancakes are gluten free, refined sugar free and can be enjoyed by the adults and children alike. I actually make mini versions of these gluten free banana pancakes for my young kids and they double up as a great breakfast for me and my husband. Any recipe that feeds the whole family is a winner in my book.
My daughter Alba especially loved these gluten free banana pancakes as finger food when she was starting on solids as a baby. They are soft and easy to chew – packed with protein and vitamins – and great for little hands to hold. Plus they can be batch cooked and then popped in the freezer.
To freeze, simply layer some non-stick baking paper between each layer of pancakes then defrost in the microwave (approx 15-30 seconds) when you want to use them. I did this all the time and it was much cheaper that spending on shop-bought baby snacks. They also are much more nutritious and filling.
Obviously when reheating the pancakes, make sure they have cooled or are slightly warm before giving them to your child. Microwaving can give them a stealth hot centre.
Want to Make these but Don’t Have Milled Seeds?
You can omit the milled (finely ground) seeds and substitute equal amounts of gluten free flour if you don’t have them. They are a great way of getting some extra protein in the pancakes and give a really nice texture to these gluten free banana pancakes, but are not essential.
However, if you can include them then a milled seed mix, milled flaxseed/linseed or any other type of milled seed will do nicely.
Gluten Free Banana Pancakes Recipe
This recipe makes 25-30 mini pancakes, or 10-12 adult sized pancakes. You’ll find a full method below, plus some photos to help guide you through the recipe.
Feel free to email me any questions or comments you might have. You can contact me at email@example.com or message me on Instagram/Facebook @myglutenfreeguide. Do tag me on socials if you give these a go, as I love to see your home creations!
Lastly, if you enjoy this recipe, I would be really grateful if you could leave a star rating or review on the recipe card below. Thank you!
- 2 ripe bananas, mashed
- 3 medium eggs
- 150ml whole milk
- 140g gluten free self raising flour
- 1 tsp gluten free baking powder
- 50g milled seeds (OR replace with an extra 50g self raising flour)
- Sift the gluten free flour and baking powder into a bowl then stir through the milled seeds.
- Crack the eggs into the mixing bowl and stir into the flour mix until well combined.
- Now add the milk and whisk well to get rid of any lumps in the gluten free pancake batter.
- Add the mashed bananas to the gluten free pancake batter and stir through.
- Now you can get cooking! For baby pancakes, use a couple of teaspoons of mix per pancake. For adult pancakes pour to create whatever size pancake you like (this recipe will make 12 American-style sized pancakes). Cook the pancakes for a couple of minutes over a medium heat then when small air bubbles have popped on the surface, flip them over for a further minute of cooking on the other side.
- Serve straight away or leave to cool if you want to freeze and defrost at a later date when you need them.
If you enjoyed this recipe why not try another of my gluten free recipes. You can find the full selection via the drop down “Recipes” tab above or try one of these gluten free breakfast recipes:
- Blueberry American Style Pancakes
- Baked Eggs & Beans in Gluten Free Bread Baskets
- Cloud Eggs Benedict with Dill Hollandaise
- The Ultimate Shakshuka Baked Eggs
Happy cooking! x