I actually make mini versions of these gluten free banana pancakes for my baby daughter and they double up as a great breakfast for me and my husband. Any recipe that feeds the whole family is a winner in my book.
Alba loves these gluten free banana pancakes as finger food – they are soft and easy to chew – packed with protein and vitamins. Plus they can be batch cooked and then popped in the freezer. To freeze, simply layer some non-stick baking paper between each layer of pancakes then defrost in the microwave (approx 15-30 seconds) when you want to use them. Obviously make sure they have cooled or are slightly warm when giving them to your child – microwaving can give them a stealth hot centre.
You can omit the milled seeds and substitute equal amounts of gluten free flour if you don’t have them, but they give a really nice texture to these gluten free banana pancakes. A milled seed mix, milled flaxseed/linseed or any other type of milled seed will do nicely.
Gluten Free Banana Pancakes (makes 25-30 mini pancakes, or 10-12 adult sized pancakes)
- 2 ripe bananas, mashed
- 3 medium eggs
- 150ml whole milk
- 140g gluten free self raising flour
- 1 tsp gluten free baking powder
- 50g milled seeds
- Sift the gluten free flour and baking powder into a bowl then stir through the milled seeds.
- Crack the eggs into the mixing bowl and stir into the flour mix until well combined.
- Now add the milk and whisk well to get rid of any lumps in the gluten free pancake batter.
- Add the mashed bananas to the gluten free pancake batter and stir through.
- Leave the batter to rest of 15 minutes, then you can get cooking!
- For baby pancakes, use a couple of teaspoons of mix per pancake. For adult pancakes pour as you will! Cook the pancakes for a couple of minutes over a medium heat then when small air bubbles have popped on the surface, flip them over for a further minute of cooking on the other side.
- Pancake time! Serve straight away (allow to cool if for babies) or freeze and defrost at a later date when you need them.
If you enjoyed this recipe why not try another of my gluten free recipes. You can find the full selection via the drop down “Recipes” tab above or try one of these gluten free breakfast recipes:
- Blueberry American Style Pancakes
- Baked Eggs & Beans in Gluten Free Bread Baskets
- Cloud Eggs Benedict with Dill Hollandaise
- The Ultimate Shakshuka Baked Eggs
Happy cooking! x