I’m on a roulade roll at the moment and this naturally gluten free strawberry and passion fruit meringue roulade is a must try dessert. A sheet of marshmallowy meringue with crispy edges rolled with a swirl of mascarpone cream, flavoured with passion fruit pulp and strawberry pieces. It serves 6, but if you eat it single-handedly know there’s no judgement here :D.
Meringue roulade is surprisingly easy to make. Meringue seems to have a reputation for being a bit tricky, but honestly this recipe is so easy. Once you’ve tried this one I’m sure you’ll want to give my Raspberry Meringue Roulade recipe a go too. It’s the same method, with a slightly different filling and is equally delicious.
This strawberry and passion fruit meringue roulade is quick to bake and doesn’t take long to cool. Perfect when you need a good dessert to whip up for guests at short notice. Only 5 minutes to make the meringue, 20 minutes in the oven, 15 to cool and 5 minutes to fill. Easy peasy.
I’m Dairy Free, How Can I Adapt This Recipe?
The meringue itself is naturally dairy free, you’ll just need to vary the filling. Try using a dairy free cream and dairy free cream cheese instead of the mascarpone. Ditto if you are lactose intolerant, use lactose free substitutions as above.
Can I Make This Strawberry & Passion Fruit Meringue Roulade Ahead of Time?
Yes. Simply make the meringue element a couple of hours before serving, leaving it rolled in the baking paper until ready to serve. Store in an airtight container until ready to use. Then unroll and fill it.
I Have Leftovers – Where Should I Keep Them?
Cover with clingfilm and store in the fridge and enjoy the next day. Any longer and the fruit and cream will make the meringue edges go soggy, as the water will start to come out of the filling.
Raspberry Meringue Roulade Recipe (GF)
This recipe makes a roulade large enough to serve 6 people comfortably. You could probably stretch it to feed 8 if you serve with fruit on the side and cut thinner slices. Or follow my husband’s lead and eat the whole thing by yourself!
You’ll find the detailed method below with lots of pictures to reference. However, feel free to email me any questions or comments you might have. You can contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org or message me on Instagram/Facebook @myglutenfreeguide.
If you enjoy this strawberry & passion fruit meringue roulade, I would be really grateful if you could leave a star rating on the recipe card below. Thank you!
A delicious crowd-pleasing dessert to enjoy at any time of the year. Marshmallowy soft meringue with crispy edges, rolled with a swirl of passion fruit mascarpone cream and fresh strawberries. Naturally gluten free.
For the meringue:
- 4 large eggs, whites only
- 200g caster sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp cornflour
- 1 tsp white wine vinegar
For the mascarpone cream:
- 250g mascarpone
- 125ml double cream
- 80g icing sugar
- 2 passion fruit
- 150g strawberries
- Preheat the oven to 180C (fan). Prepare a swiss roll tin (approx 24cm x 33cm) by lightly greasing it with oil and then lining it with non stick baking paper.
- Whisk the eggs whites with an electric whisk for approx 2 minutes until you have soft peaks (the egg white will be foamy and when you lift your whisk out some foam will hold its shape in a peak on top of the surface).
- Sift the caster sugar into the egg whites and then whisk again for a couple of minutes until the mixture is thick and glossy.
- Sift the cornflour into the bowl and add the vanilla and vinegar. Whisk again very briefly (15 seconds) to combine them.
- Use a spatula to scoop the meringue mixture out of the bowl and onto the prepared tray. Spread evenly with a small palette knife. Bake for 20 mins, on the middle shelf of the oven, at 180C (fan).
- After baking, the meringue will be puffed up and have a hard shell on the top. Set aside to cool for a minute while you take a wire rack and place a fresh sheet of baking paper on top of the rack. Carefully turn the meringue out onto the rack and baking paper. Then carefully peel off the first piece of baking paper. Leave to cool for 5 minutes.
- Now roll the meringue and the fresh sheet of baking paper from the short end, without pressing too hard (we don't want to compact it, we are merely giving it the right shape) until you have a roulade shape. Leave to cool for a further 10 minutes while you prepare the cream.
- Add the mascarpone and sifted icing sugar to a clean bowl and whisk until smooth. Pour in the cream and whisk again for a minute or so until thick and spreadable (do not overwhip or the cream can start to separate).
- Scoop the seeds and flesh out of the passion fruit and chops the strawberries into small chunks. Add and fold both into the cream.
- Unroll the meringue before spreading the mascarpone cream over the meringue in an even layer.
- Re-roll the roulade and placing on a serving dish. Dust with icing sugar and decorate with extra fruit if you wish, then serve immediately :).
For more delicious dessert ideas, why not bookmark some of my other gluten free recipes for later:
Enjoy! Laura xxx