Add some zest to your lunchtime with this twist on classic gluten free avotoast. Top gluten free toast with creamy avocado, sharp feta, sweet pops of pomegranate and a drizzle of balsamic and you have one delicious lunch on your hands.
I love avotoast, its’s such a quick but satisfying lunch. The creamy avocado makes a lovely base and is a great way of using up any avocados that you have ripening in your fruit bowl.
Of course if you are not gluten free this can be made on normal bread too. If you are catering for a mixed group, prepare the toppings and then top the gluten free toasts before you top the normal bread.
Avoiding cross contamination is very important if you are catering for coeliacs, so be sure to keep the gluten free bread and the gluteny bread on separate boards/plates. Use clean utensils and do not double dip knives or spoons until you have finished preparing the gluten free slices.
For more information about catering safely for coeliacs, please have a read of my full guide. There are some important things you’ll need to bear in mind and I’ve written lots of handy tips to help you.
Gluten Free Avocado Toast with Pomegranate and Feta (Serves 1)
- Three small/two large slices of gluten free bread
- One ripe avocado
- Juice from 1/4 lemon
- A pinch of chilli flakes
- 50g (2oz) feta cheese, chopped into small cubes
- A heaped tbsp pomegranate seeds
- A few drops of balsamic vinegar
- Olive oil, just a few drops
- 1 tsp fresh chopped chives (if you have some, otherwise fine to omit)
- Prepare your bread (I like mine lightly toasted) and place on a plate ready for the toppings.
- In a small bowl, scoop out the avocado flesh and roughly mash with a fork, leaving lots of nice pieces of avocado in the mix. Squeeze in the lemon juice, plus salt and black pepper to taste, then stir to combine. Distribute the avocado mix between the slices of toast and spread to the edges of each.
- Now top each slice of gluten free avotoast with some feta cubes, pomegranate seeds, chilli flakes and chives. You can arrange them however you like.
- To finish, drizzle a few drops of balsamic vinegar and olive oil on top each toast. Then they are ready to serve!
If you enjoyed this twist on gluten free avotoast why not try one of my other gluten free lunch ideas:
- Spanish Tortilla with Lemon Aioli
- Smoked Salmon, Asparagus & Mascarpone Pasta
- Sweet Potato & Halloumi Fritters