Nasi goreng is a popular Indonesian fried rice dish and is absolutely delicious, however it is very hard to find it gluten free due to the inclusion of kecap manis (a sweet, thick soy sauce). I’ve worked up a gluten free spicy vegetable fried rice dish in honour of nasi goreng, which is both gluten and dairy free too.
My spicy vegetable fried rice uses gluten free tamari soy sauce and light brown sugar to replicate the kecap manis. Then I’ve added a good kick of sriracha for a really tasty, spicy flavour.
The spice levels aren’t too high, as you can easily make it spicier by adding extra sriracha and fresh red chilli to finish. If you are really adverse to spice, halve the amount of sriracha used for a nice mild dish.
I love topping this fried rice with a fried egg, then mixing the runny yolk and chopped up white through the rice when I am eating in. However, if you are vegan or cannot tolerate eggs feel free to skip this. The rice is delicious as a standalone too.
Nasi Goreng – Spicy Vegetable Fried Rice Recipe
Time for the recipe! If you enjoy this gluten free nasi goreng, I would be really grateful if you could review the recipe on the card below.
You’ll find a full method below along with some pictures to help you as you work through the recipe. Feel free to email me any questions or comments you might have – firstname.lastname@example.org – or DM me on social media @myglutenfreeguide.
Nasi Goreng - Spicy Vegetable Fried Rice (GF, DF)
- 150g basmati rice
- 1 carrot
- 100g baby sweetcorn
- 100g red pepper (capsicum)
- 5 spring onions
- 100g tenderstem broccoli
- 1 shallot
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 tbsp sriracha
- 3 tbsp gluten free tamari soy sauce
- 1 tbsp light brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- Cook the basmati rice per the packet instructions then remove the lid, set aside and allow it to steam cool. This will help to dry the cooked rice out, making it perfect for fried rice.
- While the rice is cooking and cooling you can prepare the vegetables. Dice the carrot into small cubes, and finely chop the shallot - set aside. Then top and tail the spring onions and slice into rounds. Slice the baby corn and tenderstem into small chunks. Dice the pepper into small cubes.
- We can also prepare the dressing - simply mix the sriracha, soy sauce and brown sugar, plus the grated/minced clove of garlic. Stir well and set aside.
- Now we are ready to get cooking! Add 1 tbsp oil (sesame or vegetable oil ideally) to a wok or high-sided frying pan and add the carrot and shallot. Cook over a medium heat for 5 minutes to soften them.
- Next, turn the heat up to high and add all the other vegetables. Stir fry them for 5 minutes.
- Add the cooled rice to the wok, mix the vegetables through the rice, then pour the sauce all over the rice before mixing thoroughly.
- Now let the fried rice cook (without stirring) for a couple of minutes until the bottom of the rice is slightly crispy. Before dishing up into two serving bowls.
- Give the pan a quick wipe, add a little oil, then fry the eggs in the pan, before serving one atop each bowlful of rice. Garnish with extra sriracha or fresh red chillis/chilli flakes if you like it hot!
For more gluten free vegetarian meal ideas, why not try some of these other tasty dishes:
- Red Pepper Spanish Tortilla with Lemon Aioli
- Spiced Lentil Salad Bowl
- Mexican Loaded Sweet Potato Skins
Enjoy! Laura xxx