This gluten free honey soy chicken recipe means you can make takeout-quality delicious lunch and dinner bowls at home. Succulent chicken breast cooked in a honey, tamari (gluten free soy sauce) and garlic glaze, it really makes incredibly yummy bowlfuls.
Being stuck at home a lot at the moment, we have really been missing the grab and go Asian-style lunches you can usually get in your work lunch break. This honey soy chicken recipe has really filled the void! Paired with rice and my homemade healthy rainbow slaw, it’s a guilt-free yet delicious meal.
You could really pair this chicken with all sorts, from rice and pan friend tenderstem broccoli or other greens, to chips and salad for a cheeky fakeaway. Or how about trying it with my hasselback potatoes – what a paring!
Is This Honey Soy Chicken Quick to Make?
This recipe is really quick and easy to whip up. The sauce takes about a minute to put together, then it’s just pan-frying the chicken and cooking the sauce to finish the dish.
I cut the chicken into nice thin pieces, as not only do they them cook extra quickly, but you also get a higher sauce-to-chicken ratio. Given how tasty the sauce is, that’s a very good thing!
Do I Have to Make it Gluten Free?
No – if you do not have a gluten intolerance you can use regular soy sauce in place of tamari. If you are cooking for a coeliac guest, why not make the meal gluten free for everyone. Tamari tastes exactly like soy sauce, so I guarantee no one will know the difference.
Is it Dairy Free Too?
By happy chance this recipe is naturally dairy free! Even my rainbow slaw is dairy free, so no subs needed and you can enjoy this recipe in its original form.
Honey Soy Chicken Recipe (GF, DF)
Time for the recipe! If you enjoy making my gluten free honey soy chicken, I would be really grateful if you could review the recipe on the card below.
You’ll find a full method below along with lots of pictures to help you as you work through the recipe. Feel free to email me any questions or comments you might have – email@example.com – or DM me on social media @myglutenfreeguide. Ooh, also send photos of your creations please!
Enjoy! Laura xxx
- 2 chicken breasts
- 50g plain gluten free flour OR rice flour OR corn flour
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar (OR cider vinegar)
- 2 tbsp gluten free tamari soy sauce
- 100ml clear runny honey
- First, make the honey "soy" sauce by combining the honey, tamari, white wine vinegar and garlic. Stir well until all the ingredients are combined, then set aside while you prep the chicken.
- Mix the flour with a little salt and pepper and spread across a large plate or pasta bowl.
- Take the chicken breasts and cut them in half along the thinner side carefully, with your hand pressed on top (as if you were butterflying the chicken breast but cutting right through so you have two separate pieces). See image below for what you are aiming for. Pop the chicken slices into the flour bowl and toss them until they are well coated.
- Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan over a medium heat. Then add the chicken pieces and cook for 2-3 minutes on each side (depending on thickness) until the chicken is just cooked through and slightly golden on the outside. Set the chicken aside on a clean plate to rest.
- Give the pan a quick wipe to remove any flour/oil residue. Then pour the sauce into the pan and heat over a low flame for 5 minutes. It should be bubbling gently and will gradually thicken, until it has the consistency of a thick syrup. Reducing the sauce to this stage is important if you want it to coat the chicken in a nice glaze, rather than having a very liquid sauce.
- Now carefully place the chicken pieces into the sauce and turn heat up to medium. Cook for 30 seconds on each side, then remove from the pan and serve! There will be some excess sauce, which you can spoon over the chicken and sides - it is delicious :).
Serving suggestion: I like to sprinkle sesame seeds over the chicken and serve on a bed of rice with big helpings of Rainbow Slaw.
I hope you enjoy this yummy gluten free honey soy chicken recipe! For more tasty gluten free meal ideas, why not give some of these a try:
Enjoy! Laura x