Delicious and healthy, these gluten free steak & shiitake noodles are very quick to whip up and makes for a fabulous gluten free midweek meal. They are also naturally dairy free.
Pan-seared, sesame-encrusted steak atop a mound of gluten free rice noodles, pak choi, shiitake mushrooms, baby corn and spring onions, surrounded by a tasty spicy broth. This dish is simple but so delicious and really filling.
If you are not a fan of spice, just omit the chili from this recipe and it will still taste great without the extra kick. For vegetarians, try switching the steak for tofu and the chicken stock for veggie stock.
Which Noodles Should I Use?
I typically use the Amoy Straight to Wok Ribbon Rice Noodles (which are gluten free), as they are super quick to cook. However this dish would work well with any pre-cooked rice noodles.
If you are using dried rice noodles or rice sticks, simply par-cook them before you add them to the dish. I really like the Red Drago brand that you can buy on Amazon, as the rice noodles are nice and wide and stay together well when cooked. If using these, I would cook them for 5 minutes, then plunge into cold water until you are ready to use them in the dish. This will ensure they don’t get overcooked and soft before use (and keeping them in the cold water will stop them from clumping together).
Gluten Free Sesame Steak and Shiitake Noodles (Serves 2)
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds
- Salt and pepper
- 2 steaks (minute, bavette, sirloin, whatever you fancy - ideally 1cm thick, you can bash them with a rolling pin if you need to make them thinner)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 red chili, finely sliced
- 2cm cube ginger, finely chopped
- 4 spring onions, topped and tailed and chopped into chunks
- 1 pack baby sweetcorn (approx 10 baby corn), chopped into chunks
- 1 pak choi, bottom chopped off to separate the leaves - white part chopped and leaves left whole
- 150g mushrooms (mix of shiitake mushrooms, torn into quarters, and chestnut mushrooms, sliced - if you can't find shiitake then just any mushroom variety is fine)
- 500ml chicken stock (made with one gluten free chicken stock cube - I used Knorr)
- 1 x 150g sachet of Amoy Straight to Wok gluten free ribbon rice noodles
- 2 tsp gluten free tamari soy sauce
- Optional - coriander for presentation
- First, prepare your steaks. Pour the sesame seeds onto a plate or large tub so that they coat the bottom. Lay the steaks on a board and pour the olive oil onto them, along with salt and pepper. Rub the oil and seasoning into each side of the steaks, then carefully dip one side of each steak into the sesame seeds to give you a sesame crust on one side of the steak. Set the steaks aside for a moment.
- Place a wok on the hob over a medium heat, then pour the sesame oil into the pan. Add the spring onion, garlic, ginger and half the red chili to the hot oil and cook for two mins, constantly stirring.
Meanwhile, put a griddle pan on a high heat (no oil), so it gets nice and hot for your steak.
- Back to the wok, turn the heat up to medium-high and add the baby corn, pak choi and the mushrooms - cook for 3 mins.
- Now pour the stock into the wok, along with the soy sauce, and cook for 5 mins.
- While the veggies are cooking in the stock, flash fry your steak for 2-3 minutes on each side (for pink in the middle), or to your own preference. Then set aside to rest (the resting part of the cooking helps ensure the meat is as tender as possible).
- Now add the noodles to the wok, cook for 3 mins, stirring them through the dish as they soften up.
- Serve the contents of the wok in bowls, slice the steak and place on top of the noodle mound, sesame-side up. Add extra sliced red chili and coriander to garnish. Serve immediately.
If you enjoyed making this gluten free sesame steak and shiitake noodles, why not try one of my other gluten free midweek meals. Or maybe even my 7-day meal plan!
- 7-Day Gluten Free Meal Plan
- Asian-Style Chicken Noodle Soup
- Satay Chicken Coconut Curry
- Mexican Rice One Pot
- Tumeric Honey Baked Salmon with a Lemon Butter Sauce