My oh my, this gluten free paneer and lentil curry is GOOOOOOD! I set out to see if I could create a veggie version of my Indian-style chicken curry and ended up with an entirely new dish. This gorgeous dish is made with paneer cheese (sort of an Indian-style less-salty halloumi cheese), tinned green lentils, veggies and spices.
Gluten Free Indian-Style Chicken Curry (Serves 4)
- 200g paneer cheese
- 390g tin green lentils, drained and rinsed
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 2 white onions
- 1 yellow/orange/red pepper
- 2 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp tumeric
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 500ml vegetable stock
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- 100g spinach
- Finely dice the onions and fry in a high-sided frying pan or saucepan for 5 minutes over a low-medium heat. After this time they should be translucent and soft.
- Mince the garlic and add to the pan with the onion, then allow to cook for a couple of minutes and stir through the onion.
- Next add the ground ginger and other spices (garam masala, cumin, coriander, tumeric and optional cayenne) to the pan and allow them to sizzle gently until everything starts to smell fragrant (a couple of mins).
- Chop the pepper into small chunks and add this to the pan too.
- Add the tinned tomatoes, green lentils and stock to the pan and bring to the boil before turning right down to a gentle simmer. Allow the curry to cook for 40 minutes, until the sauce has thickened nicely. If it begins to dry out slightly simply add a little more water.
- While this is cooking, dice the paneer cheese into small chunks and dry fry it in a frying pan, to allow it to colour and lightly caramelise on the outside. Set aside.
- Wilt the spinach into the curry and add the paneer, before cooking the curry for a further 10 minutes. Then you can serve the paneer and lentil curry on a bed of rice with some yummy poppadums or gluten free onion bhajis and mango chutney on the side!
If you enjoyed this gluten free paneer and lentil curry you might like some of my other recipes and meal ideas. Here are a few to choose from: