Packed with flavour and featuring mouth-watering crispy edges, these gluten free spicy sweetcorn fritters are perfect paired with cooling guacamole.
These gluten free fritters are fab for brunch, lunch or dinner and very versatile. You might want to skip the red chilli is you’re having them first thing and have a lightly spiced fritter instead, unless you like a little kick to start your day!
Try them with a poached egg on top and some crispy bacon on the side for the ultimate delicious plateful. Or for a healthy dinner, I really enjoy eating these with a fresh green side salad and some lime wedges for a bit of extra zing.
I’ve used tinned sweetcorn for these fritters, but when corn is in season these would be amazing use roasted corn straight from the cob too. For an extra sweet, smokey flavour. Simply char the cobs in a pan, allow to cool, then slice off the corn before adding to the mix and following this recipe.
You can either use shop bought or homemade guacamole for the stack. I’ve actually discovered a lovely shop-bought brand called Holy Moly, which I used for this recipe. I originally developed this recipe as part of a paid collaboration with them (this post is not part of that collab), but now I am well and truly hooked.
Scroll down for the tasty recipe!
Spicy Sweetcorn Fritters & Guacamole Stack
- 100g plain gluten free flour
- 0.5 tsp baking powder
- 0.5 tsp paprika
- 0.5 tsp ground cumin
- 0.5 tsp sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 50ml semi-skimmed milk
- 285g tinned sweetcorn, drained
- 3 spring onions, sliced into rounds
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 small red chilli, seeds removed and diced
- 150g guacamole
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Add the plain flour, baking powder, paprika, cumin, salt and pepper to a large mix bowl and stir to combine.
- Add the eggs to the flour mix and whisk until the mixture is a smooth paste.
- Add the milk and stir until you have a lump-free, quite runny mixture.
- Now add the sweetcorn, spring onions, fresh parsley and chilli and stir well until you have a nice thick fritter batter.
- Set a large frying pan over a medium-hot heat and add 1 tbsp olive oil. Ladle three individual scoops of fritter mix into the frying pan (to create three fritters) and cook for 5 minutes on this first side. Then flip the fritters over and cook for a further 5 minutes on the other side. Then transfer onto a plate. You should get a total of six fritters from the mix, enough for two people, so repeat the process until you have lots of lovely golden fritters.
- Now to assemble the stacks. You'll use three fritters for each stack, along with half of the guacamole. Place one fritter on the base, add a heaped tsp of guacamole on top, spread it around with the back of a spoon, then place another fritter on top. Repeat and then add garnish/sides of your choice!
If you want to see a video of these fritters being made, head over to my Instagram to view a how to recipe video. I originally made this stack as part of a collaboration with the wonderful Holy Moly Dips (their guacamole os NEXT LEVEL!).
I hope you’ve enjoyed my gluten free spicy sweetcorn fritters! Why not try a few other recipes while you are here: