Spice up your burger game with these awesome tex mex beef burgers, which are gluten free and packed with flavour! Perfect both for BBQ season and for chilled fakeaway dinners at home, the recipe is super adaptable so you can tweak the spice levels if you are cooking for the whole family.
When I am making these for my brood, I simply take some of the mix out before I add the jalepenos, to make a burger for my three year old. Then in go the jalepenos for mine and my husband’s dinner. He inevitably adds extra hot sauce to his finished burger too, as he loves a bit of spice! I like things fairly mild, so if you want your burgers to be spicy feel free to add more jalepenos to the burger mix.
Try these with a side of nachos and lots of dips, fries and corn on the cob or even just a big old salad. I used the Santa Maria Taco Tub kit when making these and made cool little salad tubs to have also side. The perfect combo of crisp tacos and crunchy salad!
Tex Mex Beef Burgers Recipe
This recipe make 4 mega burgers or 6 slightly slimmer patties, which you can either BBQ or pan fry. You’ll find the method below, plus some photos to help guide you through the recipe.
If you enjoy this tex mex beef burgers recipe, I would be really grateful if you could leave a star rating or review on the recipe card below. Thank you!
- 1 red onion
- 1 tsp dried or fresh chopped parsley
- 500g beef mince (5% fat)
- 30g gluten free breadcrumbs
- 1 large egg
- 1 packet taco or fajita spice mix (I used Santa Maria Taco Spice Mix)
- 30g red or green jalepenos (jarred)
- 4-6 gluten free burger buns (depending on how many burgers you want to make)
- 4-6 slices burger cheese
- 4-6 tsp tomato salsa
- Two handfuls of shredded lettuce
- 2 ripe avocados
- Finely chop and pan fry one red onion, then transfer to a mixing bowl.
- Add the beef mince, parsley, gluten free breadcrumbs, large egg, packet of taco spice mix and diced jalapenos to the bowl. Mix until well combined. You'll need to get your hands in there to really squish it all together after the initial stir with a wooden spoon. It's quite satisfying!
- Shape into 4-6 burger patties, depending how thick you want your burgers to be. Ensure you have compacted them really well, else they will fall apart during cooking.
- To cook the burgers, either fry in a pan or BBQ until cooked through. Depending on thickness they will need 5-10 minutes on each side. When almost cooked, add a slice of cheese to each burger and let it melt.
- To assemble your burgers, add a tsp of salsa to the base of a gluten free burger bun and top with some slices of avocado. Place a tex mex burger patty on top of the avo and crown with some shredded lettuce and the other half of the bun. Serve with tortilla chips and chunky salsa for dipping. Yummy!
For a less spicy burger, skip the addition of the jalapenos. Or if you have kids you can take set some mixture aside before adding them, allowing the adults to enjoy a spicy burger while the kids just have mild, tasty ones :).
For more BBQ and fakeaway ideas, why not bookmark some of my other recipes for later:
- Greek Salad
- Halloumi & Aubergine Burgers
- Easy BBQ Pulled Pork
- Crispy Garlic Butter Hasselback Potatoes
- Juicy Turkey Burgers
- Tandoori Paneer, Pineapple & Pepper Kebabs
Enjoy! Laura xxx