One of my all time favourite bakes, I am finally sharing my treasured gluten free cookie recipe. These soft American-style cookies are good enough to rival the gluteny alternatives from Ben’s Cookies and Millie’s Cookies, honest!
With a soft centre and crispy edges, this particular gluten free cookie recipe includes big chunks of creamy white chocolate but you can sub in any chocolate variety, nuts, dried fruit and other sweet treats.
Gluten Free White Chocolate Chunk Cookies (Makes 12)
- 170g unsalted butter
- 200g dark brown sugar
- 100g caster sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 large egg + 1 egg yolk
- 400g gluten free plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 0.5 tsp salt
- 0.5 tsp xanthan gum
- 150g white chocolate
- Preheat your oven to 180C (fan oven).
- Melt the butter in a microwave for approx 30-40 seconds, until just liquid. There might still be a few small lumps when you take it out, but give the melted butter a stir until these have melted too.
- Add the dark sugar and caster sugar to the warm butter, stir them well to combine.
- Now the vanilla essence, egg and egg yolk are added to the butter sugar mixture. Mix well until a smooth batter has formed.
- Take a second bowl and add the plain gluten free flour, xanthan gum and salt, stirring to fully combine them.
- Pour the batter mix into the bowl with the dry ingredients and mix with a wooden spoon until you have a soft cookie dough. The dough will be shiny and slightly wetter than standard cookie dough, but should come away from the sides of the bowl as you mix. If it is too dry add a tablespoon of milk, if too sticky add a tablespoon of gluten free flour (and continue adjusting until you have the right consistency).
- Chop the white chocolate into rough chunks and then stir into the cookie dough until it is evenly distributed.
- Line two baking trays with greaseproof paper. Divide the cookie dough into 12 pieces, roll into balls and place 6 balls on each baking tray. Press down gently until the raw cookies are around 1.5cm thick.
- Pop them into the oven to bake for 10-12 minutes. They are ready when they are starting to brown slightly but will still be very soft. Leave them on the tray to cool for 5 minutes before transferring carefully to a wire rack to cool fully.
These taste amazing both when cooled and when still warm from the oven. For a treat I recommend having one straight from the oven with a scoop of vanilla icecream! Or let them cool and use for cookie sandwiches or keep it simple and eat them as they are. These gluten free cookies will keep for up to 3 days in an airtight container.
If you enjoyed this recipe why not try one of my other gluten free bakes:
- Salted Caramel Swirl Brownies
- Peanut Butter Stuffed Brownies
- Dulche de Leche Cheesecake
- Epic Carrot Cake
Happy baking! x