These simple gluten free cupcakes are a wonderful base for all sorts of tasty toppings. Here I have included a vanilla buttercream recipe, but you can also top with ready-made condiments such as caramel sauce, jam and fruit.
Perfect Gluten Free Cupcakes (Makes 12)
For the cake
- 200g salted butter
- 200g golden caster sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 200g gluten free self-raising flour (I use Dove’s Farm)
- 1tsp gluten free baking powder (I use Isabel’s)
- A quarter tsp of xanthan gum (I use Dove’s Farm)
For the buttercream (optional)
- 100g salted butter
- 140g icing sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste
- Preheat the oven to 180C (fan).
- If you have a food processor, combine all the cake ingredients in the blender bowl and whizz until you have a smooth cake mix. Not to worry if you don’t have a blender – this gluten free cupcake recipe can be made just as well using human power! In a large bowl, cream the butter and the sugar until smooth. Then add the eggs one at a time, combined well after each. Finally, sift in the flour, baking powder and xanthan gum and mix for a few minutes until everything is perfectly smooth.
- Line a cupcake or muffin tray with cupcake cases.
- Divide the gluten free cupcake mixture between the cases, so that each is filled to about 2/3 of the way up the case.
- Bake for approximately 20 minutes, until your cake tester comes out clean from the centre of your test cupcake.
- Gentlly take the gluten free cupcakes out of the tray and onto a wire cooling rack. Leave to cool completely.
- Once the cakes have cooled entirely, you can go ahead and ice with a topping of your choice. Ready-made caramel is a brilliant easy cheat topping, or if you want to use buttercream follow the step below.
- To make the buttercream, simply beat the butter in a bowl until smooth, then add the icing sugar and vanilla bean paste. Mix well until smooth and fluffy. Use a small palette knife to spread the buttercream on top of the cooled gluten free cupcakes, adding any other toppings you fancy. A sprinkle of chocolate chips, fresh raspberries and soft caramelised rhubarb all work beautifully!
If you liked this recipe, why not try some of my other gluten free bakes: