This chicken fajita tray bake is a super speedy and easy dinner, with minimal preparation needed and only 20 minutes cooking time. Juicy, succulent pieces of chicken are baked with peppers, onions, tasty spice mix and salsa to create one delicious meal.
Finish it with jalepenos if you like a little spice, then serve in taco shells or gluten free wraps, which your choice of toppings. We love ours with rocket, guacamole, cheddar cheese, salsa and sour cream.
It’s easily made gluten free (using a gf spice mix) and is naturally dairy free. Obviously if you are dairy free choice your toppings accordingly – cheddar and sour cream contain dairy, but the re are plant based alternatives.
Why Make Fajitas in the Oven?
Two strong reasons for oven-baked fajitas. First, it’s a hands off method – you simply mix everything together in the baking dish and pop it in the oven to cook. Then you can get on with other things in the meantime.
Secondly, oven baking the chicken ensures it stays perfectly juicy and doesn’t risk drying out. It’s easy to over-cook chicken during pan-frying, and dry chicken breast is never enjoyable.
Which Spice Mix Do You Use?
I use a shop-bought spice mix for this recipe, as it makes it super quick and minimal fuss. Santa Maria is the variety I use for this recipe, as their spice mixes are gluten free.
Can I Make My Own Spice Mix Instead?
Absolutely! The mix I used contains chilli pepper, cumin, smoked paprika and oregano. Feel free to create your own variety at home if you prefer. You’ll need approx 28-30g of seasoning mix.
Chicken Fajita Tray Bake Recipe
This chicken fajita tray bake serves 4 people. You’ll find the method below, with some pictures to guide you through the recipe. If you have any questions feel free to get in touch. You can contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org or message me on Instagram/Facebook @myglutenfreeguide.
Lastly, if you enjoy this chicken fajita tray bake, I would be really grateful if you could leave a star rating or review on the recipe card below. Thank you!
The easiest one tray fajitas recipe, with succulent chicken pieces, bell peppers and red onions smothered in tasty tex mex spices.
- 4 chicken breasts
- 3 bell peppers (different colours ideally)
- 2 red onions
- 2 tbsp cooking oil
- 1 packet gluten free fajita mix (I used Santa Maria 28g Fajita Seasoning Mix)
- 120g tomato salsa (I used Santa Maria Mild Chunky Salsa)
- Optional: jalepenos (red or green)
- To serve: gluten free wraps or taco shells, guacamole, tomato salsa, rocket/iceberg lettuce, grated cheddar cheese, sour cream.
- Lightly grease an oven dish with oil and preheat the oven to 200C (fan).
- Slice 4 chicken breasts, 3 peppers and 2 red onions and add to the pan.
- Add 2 tbsp cooking oil, 1 packet Santa Maria Fajita Mix (Mild or Medium - your choice!) and half a jar of Santa Maria Chunky Salsa (Mild or Medium). Give everything a really good stir so that the chicken and veg are fully coated in the sauce, then place into the middle of the oven to bake for 15 minutes.
- Take the dish out, stir everything well, then top with Santa Maria Green or Red Jalapenos, then back into the oven for a final 5 minutes.
- Serve with a selection fajita sides - wraps, taco shells, guacamole, more Santa Maria Salsa, cheese and rocket are some of my faves. Enjoy!
For more delicious gluten free one pot meals, why not try some of my other recipes:
Enjoy! Laura xxx