This Mexican rice one pot is a bit like loaded nachos meets a legitimate family dinner! Seriously tasty rice with a good dose of vegetable and black bean goodness mixed through, topped with salty cheddar cheese, avocado, sour cream and (for the grown ups) spicy red jalepenos.
I serve it with tortilla chips as it’s fun to get scooping and also helps this meal to stretch to feed four people. If you’re one or two people, just have big generous portions then pop any leftovers in the fridge. That’s your next weekday lunch sorted!
It’s naturally gluten free and can easily be made dairy free too. Simply switch to a dairy free cheese and either skip the sour cream in favour of extra avocado, or use a df alternative.
Mexican Rice One Pot Recipe (GF, DFO)
Time for the recipe! If you enjoy this Mexican rice one pot, I would be really grateful if you could review the recipe on the card below.
You’ll find a full method below along with some pictures to help you as you work through the recipe. Feel free to email me any questions or comments you might have – email@example.com – or DM me on social media @myglutenfreeguide.
- 1 onion
- 2 peppers (different colours)
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 220g basmati rice
- 500ml vegetable stock
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 100ml water
- 400g tin black beans, drained and rinsed
- 200g sweetcorn, drained
- 100g cheddar cheese (of DF alternative)
- 50g red jalepenos (optional, for a bit of spice)
- 1 avocado
- Optional: sour cream or sour cream and chive dip (or DF alternative)
- Optional: fresh coriander to serve
- To serve: a large bag of gluten free tortilla chips).
- Finely dice the onion and peppers. Place them into a high-sided frying pan (with lid) with a glug of olive oil. Sweat with the lid on over a medium-low heat for 10 minutes, stirring regularly, until softened.
- Add the minced garlic, cumin, paprika and oregano and cook for two minutes.
- Tip the dry basmati rice into the pan and stir through the spices, onion and pepper.
- Add the tomato paste to the vegetable stock and stir to combine. Then pour the stock into the pan with the rice and stir through. Bring to the boil, then turn the heat right down to low and place the lid on the pan. Cook for 15 minutes.
- After this time the rice will have absorbed the stock. Tip the black beans, sweetcorn and water into the pan. Stir through and, leaving the lid off, turn up to medium. Don't do any more stirring, as we want to get a slightly crispy bottom on the rice. Cook for 10 minutes and preheat your oven grill while it is cooking.
- Sprinkle the grated cheddar cheese and chopped red jalepenos over the top of the rice. Place under the grill for 5 minutes, then finish the dish with avocado chunks, dollops of sour cream and fresh coriander. Serve with tortilla chips for scooping!
For more easy dinners, why not check out some of my other savoury gluten free recipes while you are here:
- Chicken One Pot Wonder
- Nasi Goreng – Spicy Vegetable Fried Rice
- Classic Beef Lasagne
- Spanish Chicken, Chorizo & Chickpea Stew
- Honey Tumeric Baked Salmon
Enjoy! Laura xxx