Here’s a gluten free recipe for you and your Valentine! You can make my gluten free chocolate and banana pancakes any time of year of course, but if you are feeling extra smushy why not make them heart shaped. It’s easy to do and a romantic gluten free pancake stack is sure to earn you extra brownie points.
If you don’t have milled seeds (they give such a wonderful texture!) then simply add an extra 30g flour instead.
Gluten Free Chocolate & Banana Pancakes (makes 10-15 pancakes)
- 150g gluten free self raising flour
- 20g milled seed mix
- 1 tsp gluten free baking powder
- 3 medium eggs
- 200ml whole milk
- 2 ripe bananas, mashed
- 70ml chocolate sauce (I used Sweet Freedom Choc Shot)
To serve – fresh fruit (I used blueberries) and chocolate spread.
- Sift the gluten free flour, baking powder and milled seeds into a bowl then crack the eggs into the mixing bowl and stir into the flour mix until well combined.
- Next add the milk gradually, whisking well to get rid of any lumps in the gluten free pancake batter. You want a nice smooth base mix.
- Add the chocolate sauce and stir through. Hold off adding the banana for the moment, we will do this after we have set some mix aside for the pancake outlines. The banana tends to get stuck or makes the piping awkward, so we will simply add that to main mixture instead.
- If you are making heart shaped pancakes follow this step, if not skip straight to point 5. Create the outline of your heart shaped gluten free pancakes, you will need a clear squeezy bottle (the catering type) or a disposable piping bag with a very small hole cut at the end. Spoon around a fifth of the pancake mix into your bottle or bag and then set aside.
- Add the mashed bananas to the mixture and stir through.
- Leave the gluten free chocolate & banana pancake batter to rest of 15 minutes, then you can get cooking!
- For heart shaped pancakes, follow this step, if not skip to point 8. Heat a frying pan to medium then carefully draw a heart shape in the pan using your squeezy bottle batter. Allow it to cook for 15 seconds then carefully spoon the main chocolate and banana batter into the heart outline, ensuring it doesn’t overrun the edging.
- For regular pancakes, simply heat a frying pan to medium then ladle the gluten free chocolate & banana pancake batter into the pan in medium sized dollops.
- Cook the pancakes for a couple of minutes over a medium heat then when small air bubbles have popped on the surface, flip them over for a further minute of cooking on the other side.
- Pancake time! Serve straight away with lashings of chocolate sauce and chocolate spread, fruit, ice cream, whatever you fancy :).
If you enjoyed this recipe why not try another of my gluten free recipes. You can find the full selection via the drop down “Recipes” tab above or try another of my gluten free breakfast recipes:
Happy cooking! x