I whipped up some simple oven chips at home yesterday, as we’d run out of our trusty frozen variety, and they turned out to be much tastier and very easy to make. Homemade oven chips are also healthier (as less fat is used and you can leave the vitamin-packed skins on), so it’s a win-win situation!
I thought I’d share a quick recipe in case you fancy giving these a go yourselves – the recipe is naturally gluten and dairy free and you’ll only need potatoes, oil and salt and pepper to make these.
Some shop bought varieties contain gluten (due to the coatings used), hence knowing how to make them at home is handy when you can’t find a suitable frozen variety. Although I have to say I think I’ll just be making them from scratch in the future. Especially now I know how ridiculously quick and easy it is to make homemade oven chips.
How Many Oven Chips Does This Recipe Make?
The oven chips recipe below will make two generous portions, so feel free to scale down or up accordingly. For smaller portions use 400g potatoes and 2 tbsp oil, or to make enough for a family of four try 800g potatoes and 4 tbsp oil.
What Type of Potato Should I Use?
I’ve used Maris Piper, the most common supermarket variety here in the UK, but any white potato will do. Making these easy oven chips can be a great way to reduce your food waste, as even old potatoes will work well.
Easy Oven Chips Recipe (Gluten and Dairy Free)
This recipe make 2 generous portions of oven chips – if you need more or less see my additional instructions above. They are naturally gluten and dairy free, plus naturally vegan too, so a great crowd pleaser to suit many dietary requirements.
You’ll find the easy method below, plus some photos to help guide you through the recipe. Feel free to email me any questions or comments you might have. You can contact me at email@example.com or message me on Instagram/Facebook @myglutenfreeguide.
I’ve kept the seasoning simple, but feel free to add dried rosemary, paprika, cajun spice or other seasonings if you fancy playing around with flavours.
If you enjoy these chips, I would be really grateful if you could leave a star rating or review on the recipe card below. Thank you!
Easy Oven Chips (GF, DF)
- 600g white potatoes (I use Maris Piper)
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 200C fan and line a large baking tray with non-stick baking paper.
- Leaving the skin on the potatoes, chop them lengthways into chip shapes (see image below).
- Rinse the chipped potatoes well under running water to remove any excess starch (this will help them to get nice and crispy in the oven). Shake off any excess water.
- Now transfer them to a bowl and add the oil, along with a big pinch of salt and a grating of black pepper. Toss the potatoes in the oil and seasoning until they are well coated.
- Transfer to the baking tray in a single even layer, with gaps between the chips. Don't crowd them too much else they won't crisp evenly. Then bake at the top of the oven for 40-45 minutes until golden.
*Note* You DO NOT need to stir the chips during cooking, else they tend to fall apart. Just leave them to cook and they should end up perfect and golden all over.
For more delicious side dishes, why not give some of my other gluten free recipes a try:
Enjoy! Laura xxx