Credit is due to my husband for coming up with this recipe idea, which we have made numerous times and tweaked along the way. These gluten free halloumi and aubergine burgers are really tasty and will satisfy vegetarians and omnivores alike. Juicy slices of halloumi and aubergine nestle in a gluten free bun, alongside sticky carmelised red onions and a generous dollop of chutney. Serve them with a big salad or a cheeky side of chips, depending how hungry you are.
Mega Gluten Free Halloumi and Aubergine Burgers (Makes 4 Burgers)
- 1 block halloumi, cut into 8 slices (across the short width)
- 1 medium aubergine, cut into 8 rounds
- 4 gluten free burger buns (Schar and Tesco seeded gluten free rolls or Juvela fresh fibre rolls work really well)
- Some good quality tomato chutney (caremlised onion or a tomato and chilli chutney are pretty great for these burgers – try this Sainsbury’s one)
- 2 red onions
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- Salad leaves
- Olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Place the aubergine rounds on a baking tray lined with baking parchment. Spritz or drizzle the slices with olive oil then place them in the oven for 20 minutes, turning half way through. They should be soft and juicy once they are cooked – if not keep them in the oven for a further 5-10 minutes. [Note, you could also make the aubergines in a frying pan, but I find they soak up a lot of oil when cooked that way].
- While those aubergines are cooking, it’s time to make the caramelised red onions. Slice the red onions and cook in a little oil in a saucepan over a low-medium heat until soft. The slow cooking helps to bring out the natural sweetness in the red onions. Once they are fully softened, add the balsamic vinegar and brown sugar. Cook gently over a low heat until the vinegar has reduce and the onions are caramelised and sticky. Set aside until needed.
- Prepare your gluten free buns by splitting them and placing them on plates ready for serving. Dollop a spoonful of chutney on each bun and spread to the edges. Top with slice of avocado and a few salad leaves.
- Heat a frying pan with a little olive oil then fry you halloumi slices until soft and browned on each side.
- Now to finish assembling these gluten free halloumi and aubergine burgers. Assembles: add two slices of aubergine and two slices of halloumi to each bun, add a spoonful of caramelised red onion, then place the other half of the bun on top. Eat them immediately while the halloumi is still nice and soft.
If you enjoyed this recipe why not try some of my other gluten free vegetarian meal ideas:
- Aubergine Parmigiana
- Easy Traybake Supper with Halloumi, Pomegranate and Minted Garlic Yoghurt Dressing
- Celeriac Rostis with Pea Puree and Crispy Spring Onions