Nairn’s challenged me to come up with two tasty toppings for their new Gluten Free Flatbreads and their Gluten Free Wholegrain Crackers – challenge accepted! As I am pregnant at the moment I wanted to develop a couple of recipes that are both packed with flavour and good nutrients. Eating healthily is especially important when you are expecting and I want to show that healthy food doesn’t mean you have to scrimp on taste.
The result of my kitchen experimentation was two mouthwatering toppings. For the Nairn’s Gluten Free Flatbreads, a delicious homemade smoked mackerel pate with lemon and crunchy toppings (this pate pairs beautifully with the rosemary in the Nairn’s Gluten Free Flatbreads). For the Nairn’s Gluten Free Wholegrain Crackers, a combination of creamy avocado, salty feta cheese and zingy pomegranate seeds – one of my favourite lunchtime go-tos.
Both toppings are full of vitamins and good fats (essential for any balanced diet) and they are quick to make. Perfect for when you want a seriously good snack in a hurry, a light lunch when you are on the go or fuel for juggling the demands of your family. They are certain one of my gluten free store cupboard staples.
My recipes are detailed below and if you want to try them at home you can buy the Nairn’s Gluten Free Crackers and Flatbreads at the following retailers:
- Nairn’s Gluten Free Flatbreads – £1.99 – buy online or at Sainsburys.
- Nairn’s Gluten Free Wholegrain Crackers – £1.99 – buy online or at Asda, Sainsburys, Tesco, Waitrose plus various independent health stores.
Both the crackers and flatbreads are really handy for travelling or on-the-go by the way, as they come in individually-sealed packets. Pop them in your bag when heading out for dinner too, so you don’t miss out on having something to munch while everyone else is tucking into gluteny bread!
Nairn’s Gluten Free Flatbreads with Homemade Smoked Mackerel Pate
This mackerel pate is easy to make and makes a lovely change from the shop-bought stuff. It’s also healthier, using low fat ingredients and lightened with a little yoghurt. The addition of lemon juice gives it a beautiful freshness too. The pate goes perfectly with the crunch of Nairn’s Gluten Free Flatbreads, especially the rosemary variety. If you are feeling fancy, go one step further and add some sliced apple and radish to your crackers and pate. Or keep it simple with a squeeze of lemon.
Ingredients (Serves 1)
- Nairn’s Gluten Free Flatbreads (the rosemary ones work really well for this recipe – the pate makes enough for six crackers, generously topped)
- 1 medium-sized smoked mackerel fillet
- 2 tsp low fat cream cheese
- 1 tsp low fat Greek yoghurt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Juice from 1/4 of a lemon
- Optional – sliced lemon, sliced apple, slice radishes
- Take the smoked mackerel fillet, remove the skin and then carefully break into chunks, removing any small bones as you go. Place the mackerel chunks into a bowl and break them up further using a fork.
- Add the cream cheese, Greek yoghurt and lemon juice to the mackerel. Then add a good grinding of black pepper. Mix the ingredients together with your fork, ensuring they are well-combined. There we have the simply pate – I told you it was easy :).
- Spread the mackerel pate onto the flatbreads and serve simply with a little extra black pepper and a slice of lemon. Or for something a bit different, add a few slices of apple or radish to the top of the crackers, for extra goodness and flavour.
Nairn’s Gluten Free Wholegrain Crackers with Avocado, Feta and Pomegranate
Sweet pomegranate and salty feta meet in this twist on classic avocado toast, which pairs perfectly with deliciously crisp Nairn’s Gluten Free Wholegrain Crackers. Try this recipe for a speedy light lunch or large snack to keep you going and a healthy alternative to traditional snacks.
Ingredients (Serves 1)
- Nairn’s Gluten Free Wholegrain Crackers
- 1 ripe avocado
- Juice from 1/4 of a lemon
- Maldon salt and black pepper
- Feta cheese (approx 1/6th of a block will be enough)
- A small handful of pomegranate seeds
- Aged balsamic vinegar
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Chilli flakes (optional)
- Fresh chives (optional)
- Take 1 ripe avocado, destone and peel. Then chop and place the chunks in a bowl. Mash the avocado with a good squeeze of lemon, a pinch of salt and a grinding of black pepper.
- Spread the mashed avocado onto the Nairn’s Gluten Free Wholegrain Crackers.
- Chop the feta cheese into very small chunks and place a few chunks onto each cracker.
- Deseed a pomegranate or, for ease, buy a pot of pomegranate seeds. Sprinkle a few of these beautiful jewel-like seeds onto each cracker.
- Finish the crackers by topping with a few drops of balsamic vinegar and olive oil, plus a sprinkle of chilli flakes and fresh chives if you have some.
Nairn’s Gluten Free Range
There you have my simple topping recipes for these yummy Nairn’s Gluten Free Flatbreads and Wholegrain Crackers. Visit the Nairn’s website for information about their full range.
All the products in the Nairn’s gluten free range are made using fully gluten free oats (as great care is taken by Nairn’s to ensure there is no cross-contamination with gluten during the growing and milling process). Unlike some other gluten free products on the market that contain horrible additives or weird ingredients, the whole Nairn’s gluten free range uses only natural ingredients. Nairn’s do not use any artificial flavours, colours, preservatives or GM ingredients and their whole range is suitable for vegetarians.
I was also impressed and reassured to hear that all Nairn’s gluten free products are baked in a dedicated gluten free facility to standards approved by Coeliac UK. What’s more, they have just invested £6.5 million in a bigger ‘state of the art’ gluten free bakery. Go Nairn’s!
*This is a paid sponsored feature in association with Nairn’s. I only ever advertise gluten free products that I personally enjoy and am happy to recommend to you all. All opinions on www.mygfguide.com are my own and are 100% genuine.