This speedy mushroom stroganoff is such a quick and easy midweek meal. Yet it really packs a punch on the flavour front, with a gorgeous creamy paprika mustard sauce coating those mushrooms.
Using mushrooms in place of beef means you can make this dish really quickly, and they give a lovely depth of flavour to the stroganoff. Plus it’s so much cheaper to use mushrooms, so you are winning on both fronts!
I found using creme fraiche in place of cream really elevates the dish, giving it a beautiful freshness. Plus a squeeze of lemon at the end of cooking is my magic ingredient. It really brings the flavours together (and does not make it taste lemony).
Is This Mushroom Stroganoff Freezer Friendly?
Yes it’s freezer friendly too, so is a great one to make ahead of time, portion up and freeze.
Do I Have to Use Chestnut Mushrooms?
No you can use any mushrooms you like, but chestnut mushrooms are a super cost effective ingredient and have a great taste. They are very underrated, in my opinion.
I slice the mushrooms when I make it, but you can keep them chunkier if you prefer more bite to your dish. Cut the mushrooms in the quarters and cook until soft.
Speedy Mushroom Stroganoff Recipe (GF)
This mushroom stroganoff recipe serves 2 people, with a side of rice (basmati or brown is our rice of choice) and veg. You can simply double/triple the quantities if you are cooking for a bigger family or group. The method will be unchanged.
You will find some handy pictures below, underneath the recipe. For any help along the way or if you have questions, please do message me on social media (@myglutenfreeguide) or email me at email@example.com.
If you do enjoy this speedy mushroom stroganoff recipe, please leave a review on the recipe card below. It makes a world of difference to me :).
And you can also share photos of your home creations in my Cooking Club on Facebook.
An easy vegetarian midweek meal, featuring mushrooms in a creamy paprika and mustard sauce. Delicious with rice and green vegetables. Naturally gluten free.
- 1 large onion
- 2 tbsp butter
- Olive oil (drizzle)
- 250g chestnut mushrooms
- 100ml white wine (optional)
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1.5 tsp dijon mustard
- 200ml creme fraiche
- 200ml vegetable stock
- Salt and pepper
- Juice of half a lemon
- Finely dice the onion and soften in a pan with one tbsp of butter and a drizzle of olive oil. Cook until soft and translucent (takes about 10 minutes).
- Slice the chestnut mushrooms and add to the pan, cook over a medium heat until softened and any excess liquid has evaporated. Add the white wine to the pan and cook for 5 minutes until it has completely reduced (and almost evaporated).
- Turn the heat down to low and add the remaining 1 tbsp butter, the garlic and a good grinding of black pepper.
- Once the garlic is fragrant (about 2 mins), add the paprika and dijon mustard. Stir through then add the creme fraiche and vegetable stock.
- Mix well, bring to the boil and then simmer for 10 minutes until the sauce has thickened.
- To finish, squeeze the lemon juice over the stroganoff and stir through.
Serve with rice and broccoli or similar veg, for a yummy vegetarian dinner!
For more speedy midweek meals ideas, why not try some of my other naturally gluten free recipes:
Enjoy! Laura xxx