These ham and cheese puff pastry pinwheels are ever-so-easy to make and they taste absolute delicious! Perfect for lunch boxes, speedy meals and party spreads.
Filled with ham, cheddar cheese and cream cheese, they are the perfect combination of crispy pastry swirled around a soft centre. Plus they can be enjoyed hot or cold so are a brilliant bake to make in advance.
The recipe below uses gluten free puff pastry, as I am coeliac (therefore strictly gluten free). However, it’ll work well with standard puff pastry too if you do not follow a gluten free diet.
Which Puff Pastry Do You Use?
For speed and ease I use the JusRol Gluten Free Puff Pastry, which you can find in the chilled free from section of most UK supermarkets.
Readers in the US, I believe there is a Schar variety (a frozen product) that would work nicely for this.
If you prefer to make your own at home, WATCH THIS SPACE, I’ve a wonderful gluten free puff pastry recipe coming at you soon.
How Do I Reheat Them?
You can absolutely enjoy these cold, but if you want to reheat them I recommend using an oven or an airfryer, rather than a microwave. To ensure they stay nice and crispy rather than getting soggy.
In the oven, try 5-10 minutes at 160C. In the airfryer, 5 minutes at 160C does the job nicely.
Ham & Cheese Puff Pastry Pinwheels Recipe
This recipe makes about 15 puff pastry pinwheels, depending on how thick you cut them. You will find the full recipe below. Plus, lots of photos under the recipe, to help make the method extra easy to follow.
For any help along the way or if you have questions, please do message me on social media (@myglutenfreeguide) or email me at email@example.com. I’ll get back to you as soon as I can.
If you enjoy this recipe, pleeeeease leave a review on the recipe card below. It makes a world of difference to me :). And you can also share photos of your home creations in my Cooking Club on Facebook.
Happy cooking! Laura xxx
A fantastic lunch box option or buffet treat of crispy puff pastry swirled with ham, cheddar and cream cheese. Delicious both hot or cold.
- 1 sheet gluten free ready-rolled puff pastry (approx 280g I use the JusRol brand)
- 80g full fat cream cheese
- 80g grated cheddar cheese
- 100g (3-4 slices) cooked ham
- 1 egg (any size)
- 1 tsp milk
- Preheat your oven to 200C (fan). Then on a large chopping board unroll your puff pastry sheet until it lies flat (keep the baking paper it was wrapped in underneath the pastry).
- Spread the cream cheese evenly across the sheet, leaving a 1cm gap at one of the shorter ends.
- Sprinkle the grated cheddar over the cream cheese, try to distribute it evenly.
- Lay the sliced ham onto the cheese, in a single layer.
- Beat the egg in a small bowl with a tsp of milk to create an egg wash. Brush a little egg wash across the exposed edge of pastry.
- Now time to roll! Roll from the short edge (without the egg wash gap, this with seal the roll at the end), without pressing too hard as you do not want to compact it too much (else the pastry won't have room to puff). Roll all the way to the egg washed edge and then gently press down to seal the pastry cylinder.
- Carefully transfer the large piece of baking paper the pastry was wrapped in onto a large baking tray. Cut the pastry cylinder into 15 slices, using a very sharp knife, transferring each slice onto the baking tray. Gently reshape them into circles if any have been a bit squashed during slicing.
- Brush the edges and tops of the pinwheels with egg wash, then bake in the oven for approximately 20 minutes, until puffed and golden.
- Remove from the oven and cool on the baking tray for a couple of minutes, before serving or transferring to a wire rack to cool completely. Enjoy!
For more fabulous puff pastry recipes, why not try some of these other gluten free treats:
Enjoy! Laura xxx