A speedy, healthy and naturally gluten free lunch to try, this halloumi, mango and avocado quinoa bowl is a really satisfying meal.
The salty halloumi mixed with sweet juicy mango and creamy avocado is a sensational combo. One that can be enjoyed year round.
Quinoa is a great base to use, it has a lovely texture and slightly nutty flavour, and makes a nice change from rice. I got mine from Waitrose as it doesn’t have a may contain warning (for all my fellow coeliacs).
Add it to your weekly lunch plan, along with my Rose Harissa Chickpea & Halloumi Warm Salad Bowl, as between the two recipes you can use the full halloumi block.
Halloumi, Avocado & Mango Quinoa Bowl Recipe
This tasty bowlful will serve one person for lunch. Simply double or triple (etc) the recipe if you are cooking for more people.
This recipe should be nice and easy to follow, but if you have questions please do message me on social media (@myglutenfreeguide) or email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you enjoy this quinoa bowl recipe, please leave a review on the recipe card below. It makes a world of difference to me :). And you can also share photos of your home bakes in my Cooking Club on Facebook.
Halloumi, Avocado & Mango Quinoa Bowl (GF)
Juicy sweet mango, creamy avocado and salty halloumi are a match made in heaven, in this lovely quinoa based lunch bowl.
- 60g quinoa
- 180ml water
- Half a mango, chopped into chunks
- Half a avocado, chopped into chunks
- Half a block of halloumi (approx 125g)
- 30g nuts/seeds (any of walnut pieces, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, pine nuts, flaked almonds are great)
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 0.5 tsp red wine vinegar (white wine or cider vinegar also fine)
- 1 tsp capers (from a jar, strained)
- Small handful fresh herbs (mint/basil/chives/parsley, or use fresh mint if you want to stick to one herb)
- Juice of half a lemon
- 0.5 tsp runny honey
- Add the quinoa and water to a small, lidded saucepan. Bring to the boil, then turn the heat down to low. Pop the lid on and cook for approx 20 minutes or until the water has been absorbed by the quinoa.
- While it's cooking, you can prepare everything else. Finely dice the herbs and the capers, then transfer to a small dish or ramekin (they are the base of the dressing). Add the olive oil, vinegar, lemon juice and honey. Stir well to combine.
- Place the mango, avocado and nuts/seeds into your bowl and add the quinoa once it is cooked. Pour the dressing over everything and stir to combine.
- Chop the halloumi into small pieces and pan fry with a drop of oil, until golden. Then tip onto your quinoa bowl and tuck straight in!
For more easy lunch ideas, why not try some of my other recipes:
Enjoy! Laura xxx