I whipped these tasty gluten free peanut butter and chocolate treat bars up the other day while my daughter was napping and they turned out great. The rich flavour of peanut butter with a light and crunchy texture, topped with smooth milk chocolate mmm mmmmm! They involve minimal effort and a handful of ingredients, most of which can be found lurking in your store cupboard.
Be sure to use gluten free rice crispies when making these, as some varieties contain barley malt (which is not suitable for coeliacs or those on a gluten free diet). I used the Nestle Go Free Rice Pops for this batch, but there are a few other gluten free varieties out there too, which you can find using the Coeliac UK food directory (or other local gluten free networks if you are based outside of the UK).
Peanut Butter & Chocolate Rice Crispie Treat Bars (Makes 14)
- 160g mini marshmallows
- 100g unsalted butter
- 100g peanut butter
- 150g gluten free rice crispies
- 25g golden syrup
- 100g milk chocolate
- Melt the marshmallows, butter, peanut butter and golden syrup in small non-stick saucepan over a low-medium heat until smooth.
- Add the rice crispies to a large mix bowl and pour the contents of the saucepan over the top, stir everything together until the rice crispies are evenly coated with the peanut butter marshmallow mix.
- Tip the mixture into a square baking tin (approx 24cm) lined with greaseproof paper and use a fork to press the rice crispies down until they are nicely compacted and the surface is fairly even .
- Set the rice crispie block aside for about 1 hour until it has hardened fully, then turn out onto a chopping board and peel off the greaseproof paper.
- Use a sharp knife to cut into bars and transfer the bars to a non-stick matt or sheet of greaseproof paper, spacing them out slightly.
- Break the milk chocolate into chunks and place in a microwavable bowl. Melt the chocolate in the microwave by blasting for 30 second intervals until molten and smooth.
- Use a fork to drizzle the chocolate across the tops and sides of the bars, then allow the chocolate to set before you move them (or scoff a piece while the chocolate is still warm for a really tasty treat!). Store in an airtight container until ready to serve.
If you enjoyed these gluten free peanut butter and chocolate rice crispie treat bars, why not try one of my other gluten free recipes:
Bon appetit! x