There are so many gluten free party food items in the shops this year that I decided a little round up was in order. Many supermarkets are switching ingredients to make items in their standard canape lines gluten free now and nearly everywhere has gluten free pigs in blankets. This is such a change from a few years ago! My top party food tips:
1) Always check the ingredients list on pre-bought party food. Even if something isn’t labelled explicitly as being gluten free, sometimes other items in the range happen to be gluten free too. Allergens will always be highlighted in bold if there are any included in the recipe. If you have gluten free guests, avoid any party food containing wheat, barley, rye or oats.
2) When preparing gluten free party food for guests, always cook them on a clean oven tray or dish and use clean tongs to transfer them to the serving platter.
3) Serve gluten free party food items on dedicated gluten free plates – don’t mix them in with gluteny canapes as this causes cross-contamination.
4) Eat, drink and be merry :)!
Here’s a round up of some of the gluten free party food available this year – supermarkets listed in alphabetical order.
Gluten Free Party Food
I havent been able to get to Aldi in person this year, but found a number of gluten free items listed in their Christmas food catalogue. You may find more things in store and I will add any I see shared on social media:
- Pigs in Blankets 222g
- 6 Star Stuffing Portions
- 10 Stuffing Portions – pork stuffing wrapped in bacon flavoured with fig & stilton or chestnut, bacon & shallots.
- Three Little Pigs – a trio of caramelised onion cocktail sausages wrapped in honey cured bacon
- Truffle Pigs in Blankets – pork and truffle chipolatas wrapped in streaky bacon.
- Ham Hough Croquettes
- Gluten Free Mince Pies 220g
Asda have a huge range of gluten free products now, with a number of Christmas items in their range. Some of my top picks for gluten free party food in 2020 so far are listed below, with further items to be added later this month once the full range is released:
- 12 Mozzarella Sticks 240g (fridge) – mozzarella cheese in gluten free crumb (fridge). Contains dairy.
- Free From Mozzarella Sticks 150g (freezer) – same as above but frozen and a much smaller pack. Contains dairy.
- Hash Brown Bites 250g (fridge) (DF) – may contain sesame.
- 12 Satay Chicken Skewers 180g (freezer) (DF) – may contain peanuts.
- Free From 10 Vegetable Dippers 300g (freezer) (DF)
- Butcher’s Selection 12 Pigs in Blankets (fridge) (DF)
- Extra Special 12 Pigs in Blankets (fridge) (DF)
- Dry Roasted Peanuts 450g
- Free From Blue Cheese Flavoured Crackers
- Free From Sea Salt & Black Pepper Crackers
- Free From 4 Choc Tree Decorations (milk free and egg free)
- Free From Sprout Foiled Truffles
- Free From Choc Coated Caramelised Hazelnuts (milk free and egg free)
- Free From 11 Chocolate Dipped Shortbread People
- Free From Marc de Champagne Truffles
- Free From Salted Caramel Flavour Choc Reindeer Truffles (milk and egg free)
- Free From 4 Caramelised Apple Crumble Pies
- Free From 4 Mince Pies
- Free From 4 Iced Mince Pies
- Free From 4 Mini Chocolate Logs
- Free From Shortbread Selection (Maple Syrup and Pecan, Dark Chocolate and Ginger, Mixed Peel and Clementine cookies)
- Free From Dark Chocolate, Cranberry & Orange Tiffin
- Free From Amaretto, Apricot & Almond Shortbread
- Free From Cranberry, Clementine & Triple Sec Cookies
- Free From Sour Cherry & Brandy Cookies
- Free From Choc Coated Caramelised Hazelnuts
Coop have relaunched lots of the brilliant gluten free party food items in their range again this year, although note some of them are in the normal range and are stealthily gluten free so you’ll need to check the backs of packets to find the bits you need. They are only just rolling things out but here are the items I have spotted so far (hopefully more to come):
- Cauliflower Popcorn (freezer)
- 12 Vegetable Spring Rolls (freezer)
- 12 Pigs in Blankets (freezer)
- 10 Tempura Prawns (freezer)
- 10 No-Duck Spring Rolls (freezer)
- Chicken Goujons (freezer)
- 12 Chilli Cheese Bites (freezer)
- Salted Caramel Profiteroles (freezer)
- 9 Mini Melting Chocolate Puddings (freezer)
- Free From Cranberry & Orange Tiffin Bites
- Free From 4 Mince Pies (DF)
- Free From Mini Iced Fruit Cake Bites (DF, EF)
- Hand Finished Chocolate Brownie Yule Logs (GF)
- 12 Smoked Salmon & Cheddar Bites (fridge)
- 12 Ham & Cheese Croquettes (fridge)
- 12 Cheese Bite Selection (fridge) – 6 mozzarella and 6 Mexican-style cheese
- 12 Arancini Bites (fridge) – red pepper, rice, mozzarella and bechamel sauce
- Coconut & Chilli Prawns (fridge)
- Chicken Goujons 275g (freezer) – also dairy free.
- 12 Mozzarella Sticks 180g (freezer)
- Asian Style Sharing Selection (freezer) – 5 vegetable filo candles and 5 crispy vegetable twists. Dairy free.
- Indian Style Sharing Selection 220g (freezer) – a selection of jackfruit samosa and crispy cauliflower popcorn. Dairy free.
- 10 Tempura Prawns (freezer) – also dairy free.
- 12 Vegetable Spring Rolls (freezer) – also dairy free.
- 12 Chilli Cheese Bites (freezer)
- 28 Cocktail Sausages (freezer) – also dairy free.
For top quality party food that you can feed to everyone without them suspecting gluten free, Marks & Spencers has the top spot. It’s pricey though so either splash out on your gluten free guests or mix and match with some gluten free party food from cheaper supermarkets:
- 12 Mini British Chicken Garlic Kievs – made with a creamy garlic and herb soft cheese, coated in golden gluten free breadcrumbs. Also free from soya, egg and nuts, contains dairy and garlic. My absolute favourite gluten free party food item in shops, these mini garlic chicken kievs have featured in the range for the last few years and are excellent.
- 16 Pigs in Blankets
- 16 Cheese in Blankets – Beechwood smoked British streaky bacon wrapped around mozzarella and cheddar cheese. Also free from soya, egg and nuts, contains dairy. These are pretty good, very smokey bacon but a nice addition to a buffet table.
- 16 Chorizo Pigs in Blankets – Spanish pancetta wrapped around cured mini chorizo sausages with a honey glaze. Cocktail sticks included. Also free from dairy, soya, egg and nuts, contains garlic. Really really reeeally delicious, one of my favourites this year.
- 18 BBQ Pork Belly Squares – cooked pork belly with a barbecue glaze. Cocktail sticks included. Also free from dairy, soya, egg and nuts, glaze contains onion. These cook up so nicely and are delicious after being baked in the oven.
- 12/24 Mini Chicken Kievs (freezer) – as above but frozen or a larger pack found in the freezer section.
- 12 Sticky Asian Style Chicken Lollipops (fridge) – chicken breast and thigh meat blended with red pepper and spring onion coated in a sweet sticky gf soy and plum glaze, finished with a gluten free crumb topping. Lollipop sticks included.
- 10 Sticky Chicken Yakitori Kebabs (fridge)
- Plant Kitchen 12 No Pork Cocktail Sausages (fridge)
- Plant Kitchen No Chicken Nuggets (fridge)
- Candy Cane Colin the Caterpillar sweets
- Percy Pigs Christmas sweets
- Plant Based Kitchen salted caramel truffles
- 12 Gluten Free Christmas cake Bites
- Made Without 4 Mince Pies
Morrisons – 2020 update in progress
Morrisons don’t seem to have as much gluten free party food this year, after a bumper 2019, but perhaps more will appear in the coming weeks. Again, many are not specifically branded as free from but they generally have a gluten free marker on them. Have a good look through the party food section to spot the little green diamond:
- 12 Mini Onion Bhajis (freezer) – 2020
- 9 Mini Loaded Potato Skins (fridge) – 2020
- 12 Mozarella Sticks (fridge) – 2020
- 10 Pigs in Blankets (fridge) – 2020
- The Best 10 Pigs in Blankets (fridge) 2020
- The Best 10 Cheesy Pigs in Blankets (fridge) 2020
- The Best 18 Cocktail Sausages (fridge) 2020
- The Best Pork Belly Bites with Maple BBQ Sauce (fridge) – 2020
- Free From Mini Hash Browns (freezer) 2020
- Free From Gluten Free Garlic Pizza Bread (freezer) 2020
- Free From Mozzarella Sticks (freezer) – 2020
- Free From Breaded chicken Nuggets (freezer) – 2020
- Chicken Satay And Peanut Dip 194g (freezer)
- 12 Gouda Cheese Churros and Red Pepper Dip – these are fab!
- 12 Cheese Stars – 6 cream cheese and garlic, 6 chipotle chilli and cheese
- 10 Breaded Camemberts – with raspberry and champagne sauce
- 12 Mushroom Arancini 240g
- Breaded Garlic Mushrooms
- 12 Mozzarella Pesto Balls
- 12 Breakfast Bacon & Egg Cups
- Free From Mini Hash Browns 750g (freezer)
- Free From Mozzarella Sticks 150g (freezer)
- No Moo-zarella Sticks 160g
- Free From Cracker Selection (cheese crackers)
- Free From Mini Crackers (for canapes and dips)
- Free From 6 Doughnuts (freezer) – 2020
- Free From 16 Profiterols (freezer) – 2020
- 10 Chocolate & Caramel Ice Cream Bites (freezer) – 2020
- Free From Rudi the Reindeer Yule Log
- Free From Robin Sponge Christmas Cake
- Free From 12 Mini Pastry Tart Cases
- Free From Ginger Tiffin Squares
- Free From Cranberry & Orange Mini Bites
- Free From Gingerbread Men 150g
- Free From Jewelled Fruit Topped Christmas Cake
- Free From 2 Star Topped Mince Pies
- Free From Cherry & Almond Sponge Pudding
- Free From Sticky Toffee Pudding
- Free From Panettone
- Free From 4 Mince Pies
- The Best Gluten Free Cranberry & Clementine Shortbread
- The Best Gluten Free Belgian Milk Chocolate, Rum & Raisin Cookies
- Free From Oaty Cookie Selection (choc chip, ginger and plain)
- Free From Bake Your Own Chocolate Brownie Star Cookies
Sainsbury’s have added a few gluten free items to their party food range, hurrah, but compared to other supermarkets they do not have the best selection. Here is what I have found so far:
- 12 Nacho Cheese Triangles (fridge)
- 12 Mozzarella Sticks (freezer)
- 12 Mozzarella Sticks (fridge)
- 10 Satay Chicken Skewers (freezer)
- 12 Jalapeno Cheddar Bites (fridge)
- 12 Scottish Smoked Salmon Canapes (fridge)
- 9 Mini Cheese & Bacon Potato Skins (fridge)
- Mini Thai Inspired Salmon Fishcakes 230g (fridge)
- 12 Butchers Choice Pigs in Blankets (fridge)
- 10 Taste the Difference Pigs in Blankets (fridge)
- King Prawn Ring & Sweet Chilli Sauce 280g (freezer)
- Free From Lightly Salted Christmas Tree Tortilla Chips 200g
- Pigs in Blankets Flavour Tortilla Trees 200g
- Taste the Difference Pigs in Blankets Crisps
- Taste the Difference White Chocolate & Coconut Hazelnut Snowballs 200g
- Free From Chocolate Coated Orange Cookies and Cream Biscuits
- Free From 9 Cranberry & Orange Tiffin Bites
- Free From 9 Christmas Cake Bites
- Free From 9 Ginger Bites
- Free From 4 Mini Chocolate Logs
- Free From 4 Mince Pies
- Free From 4 Iced Mince Pies
- Taste the Difference Free From Mini Mince Pies
- Taste the Difference Free From Choc, Cherry & Amaretto Cookies
- Taste the Difference Free From Salted Caramel Cookies
- Sainsburys Taste the Difference Free From Choc Truffles (Dairy free)
- Dairy Free White Chocolate Coins
Tesco are back again this year with plenty of gluten free party food, with choices for both meat-eaters and veggies. I have already tried a few of the hot party food items and especially enjoyed the tomato mozzarella sticks and pigs in blankets. Here is a round up of savoury and sweet products for your festive parties:
- 12 Tomato & Mozzarella Sticks (fridge) – with a tomato and herb centre, coated in a gluten free red pepper crumb. Also free from egg, soya and nuts, contains dairy and garlic. We really enjoyed trying these, they are like little pizza sticks almost with that tomatoey centre. Definitely a crowd pleaser.
- 10 Green Jalepeno Stuffed Peppers (fridge)
- Tesco Finest 10 Gluten Free Pigs In Blankets (fridge) – pork cocktail sausages wrapped in smoked, dry cure steaky bacon rashers. Gosh these are really excellent pigs in blankets and the bacon is gently smokey rather than overpowering, definitely recommended.
- 12 Chicken Tikka Masala Bites (fridge) – mild spiced chicken and rice covered in gluten free breadcrumbs. A bit like a curried arancini ball!
- Tesco American Buffalo Chicken Wings 500g (freezer)
- 14 Mini Onion Bhajis (freezer)
- Plant Chef 12 Bubbles & Squeak Bites (freezer)
- 10 Chicken Satay Skewers (freezer)
- Tesco Mini Sticky BBQ Ribs 340g (fridge)
- Tesco Sticky BBQ Chicken Wings 300g (fridge)
- Free From Onion Ring Crisps (Christmas free from section)
- Free From Maple Bacon Tortilla Curls (Christmas free from section)
- Tesco Finest Pigs in Blankets Crisps /Honey Roast Ham Crinkle Crisps/ Turkey & Stuffing (Christmas section)
- Free From Cheese & Tomato Pop Chips 80g
- Nairn’s Gluten Free Savoury Biscuit Selection for Cheese (Christmas free from section)
- Free From Caramelised Apple Crumble Pies
- Tesco 4 Free From Chocolate Eclairs 100G (freezer)
- Free From Chocolate Christmas Trees 112G
- Tesco Finest Free From Orange & Maple Shortbread Tin 160G
- Tesco Finest Free From Truffle Selection 139G
- Tesco Finest Free From Cookie Selection 264G
- Free From Gingerbread Men 154g
- Milk Chocolate Sprouts 85G
- Milk Chocolate Coins 70G
- White Chocolate Coins 70G
Waitrose are gradually catching up with the other big supermarkets on the gluten free party food front. Once again, find most of these in the regular chilled party food section:
- 12 Pork & ‘Nduja Croquettes – these sound amazing, “pork sausage croquettes with spicy cured ‘nduja meat paste and smoked red peppers, coated in a gluten free crumb”.
- 10 Maple & Bacon Whirls – curls sausage whirls on sticks, flavoured with bacon and maple.
- Pork Crackling Straws – roasted pork crackling strips with apple sauce dip.
- 16 Pigs in Blankets 264g
- 2 Breaded Baking Melts with Relish – large for party food, but they are both gluten and dairy free breaded vegan cheese and you could cut them into little wedges to use as party food. They come witha redcurrant relish.
- Tomato & Mozzarella Arancini 300g – “6 Tomato & Mozzarella arancini bites with medium fat hard cheese, mozzarella cheese and medium mature Cheddar cheese sauce centre coated in an oregano gluten free breadcrumb”.
- Mushroom Arancini 300g – as above, but mushroom flavoured. I have tried these and they are lovely!
- Mash Direct 6 Potato, Cheese & Onion Croquettes – so delicious, I buy the Mash Direct products regularly and their range is all gluten free and yummy.
- Gluten Free Breaded Chicken Mini Breast Fillets – chicken breast mini fillets with a golden gluten free crumb coating.
- 9 Gluten Free Mini Choc & Hazelnut Cupcakes
- 9 Gluten Free Mini Caramel Cupcakes
- Mini Gluten Free Panettone 100g
- 4 Gluten Free Iced Fruit Cake Slices
- 4 Gluten Free Mince Pies
- 2 Gluten Free Star Mince Pies
There you go! If you have spotted any especially great gluten free party food items that I have missed, give me a shout at email@example.com. Oh also, if you prefer to make your own canapes, check out my recipes:
- Advent Calendar Round Up 2020
- 170+ Festive Gluten Free Products 2020
- Gluten Free Christmas Sandwich Round Up 2020
- Gluten Free Christmas Canapes
- Lemon Meringue Yule Log
- 75 Gluten Free Desserts to Buy in Supermarkets
Happy Christmas everyone! x