There are so many gluten free party food items in the shops this year that I decided a little round up was in order. Many supermarkets are switching ingredients to make items in their standard canape lines gluten free now and nearly everywhere has gluten free pigs in blankets. This is such a change from a few years ago! My top party food tips:
1) Always check the ingredients list on pre-bought party food. Even if something isn’t labelled explicitly as being gluten free, sometimes other items in the range happen to be gluten free too. Allergens will always be highlighted in bold if there are any included in the recipe. If you have gluten free guests, avoid any party food containing wheat, barley, rye or oats.
2) When preparing gluten free party food for guests, always cook them on a clean oven tray or dish and use clean tongs to transfer them to the serving platter.
3) Serve gluten free party food items on dedicated gluten free plates – don’t mix them in with gluteny canapes as this causes cross-contamination.
4) Eat, drink and be merry :)!
Here’s a round up of some of the gluten free party food available this year – supermarkets listed in alphabetical order.
Gluten Free Party Food
I had a fun preview of the Aldi Christmas range this year, although there seem to be even more products in store! Here’s a list of the gluten free food items available this year that would work as gluten free party food:
- Butchers Select Pigs In Blankets 222g
- 10 Specially Selected Pigs in Blankets
- Scorpion Chilli Pigs in Blankets – extra spicy pigs in blankets made with scorpion Chilli from Trinidad.
- Spicy buffalo chicken wings
- Smokey BBQ chicken/roast chicken drumsticks 400g
- Mediterranean/morrocan/sweet potato falafel
- Mushroom Arancini – a rice-based vegetarian canapé option filled with yummy mushrooms and cheese (from 12th Dec)
- Two Metre Long Pig in Blanket – oooooh yas (from 5th Dec)
- Halloumi Bites Wrapped in Bacon (from 5th Dec)
- Festive Kebabs – pigs in blankets and stuffing balls on a skewer aka my husband’s dream food (from 12th Dec)
- Stuffing Baubles – pork stuffing with chutney (from 19th Dec)
- Christmas Tree Stuffing Portions – pork, cranberry and orange stuffing (from 19th Dec)
- Three Little Pigs – a trio of caramelised onion cocktail sausages wrapped in honey cured bacon (from 19th Dec)
- Tempura Battered Haddock Goujons 200g
- Gluten Free Tempura Fish Goujons 200g
- Luxury Prawn Ring With Sweet Chilli Sauce 287g
- Specially Selected Chocolate Covered Fruit & Nut Selection 225g
- Specially Selected Jewelled Fruit & Nut Medley 225g
- Specially Selected Salted Caramelised Mixed Nuts 225g
- Specially Selected Chocolate Covered Fruit & Nut Selection 225g
- Reindeer Christmas Ice Cream Lollies 240ml
- Snowman Christmas Ice Cream Lollies 240ml
- Gluten Free Mince Pies 220g
- Gluten Free Top Iced Fruit Cake Bar 400g
- Gluten Free Christmas Pudding 454g
- Gluten Free Chocolate Sponge Pudding duo 220g
- Gluten Free Syrup Sponge Pudding duo
- Dairyfine Reindeer/Snowman Chocolate Lolly 35g
Aldi have a really handy reference document on their website showing the entire range of gluten free products, which they update regularly. Here’s a link in case you want to look for extra items.
Asda have a huge range of gluten free products now, with a number of Christmas items in their range. Some of my top picks for gluten free party food in 2019 so far are listed below, with further items to be added later this month once the full range is released:
- 12 Mozzarella Sticks (fridge) – mozzarella cheese in gluten free crumb (fridge). Also free from egg, soya and nuts, contains dairy.
- Hash Brown Bites 250g (fridge)
- ASDA Party 10 Chicken Satay Skewers (freezer)
- Free From 10 Vegetable Dippers (freezer)
- Extra Special 12 Pigs in Blankets
- Extra Special Christmas Trimmings Selection – a selection of gluten free stuffing balls and bigs in blankets.
- Butcher’s Selection 12 Pigs in Blankets
- Butcher’s Selection Pigs In Blankets with Cheese Fondue Centre
- Butcher’s Selection 12 Pork, Sage & Onion Stuffing Balls
- Extra Special British Pork, Sage & Caramelised Onion Stuffing
- Free From Blue Cheese Crackers (dairy free)
- Free From 4 Iced Topped Mince Pies
- Free From 4 Mince Pies
- Free From Chocolate Log Slices
- Free From Roddy the Reindeer Cake
- Free From 9 Mini Christmas Cupcakes
- Free From 5 Dark Chocolate, Cranberry & Orange Tiffin
- Extra Special Free From Amaretto, Apricot & Almond Shortbread Biscuits
- Extra Special Free From Rhubarb & Gin Shortbread Biscuits
- Schar Gluten Free Speculoos Biscuits
- Schar Gluten Free Lebkuchen Biscuits
- Free From Candy Cane Chocolate Bar (milk and egg free too)
- Extra Special Free From Marc de Champagne Truffles (milk and egg free too)
- Extra Special Free From Truffle Collection (milk and egg free too)
- Extra Special Free From Christmas Cookie Selection
- Extra Special Free From Luxury Yule Log (milk free too)
- Extra Special Sicilian Lemon & Mascarpone Roulade
- Extra Special Chocolate Torte
- Extra Special Belgian White Chocolate & Raspberry Roulade
- Extra Special 2 Toffee & Pecan Roulades
- Extra Special Chocolate Cup Selection
- Free From Doughnuts
- Extra Special Hand Finished Raspberry & Prosecco Pavlova Stack (freezer)
- Iced Cream Igloo (freezer)
Coop have relaunched all the brilliant gluten free party food items in their range again this year, although note some of them are in the normal range and are stealthily gluten free so you’ll need to check the backs of packets to find the bits you need. Here are the bits to look out for:
- Chicken Goujons 275g (freezer) – also dairy free.
- 12 Mozzarella Sticks 180g (freezer)
- Asian Style Sharing Selection (freezer) – 5 vegetable filo candles and 5 crispy vegetable twists. Dairy free.
- Indian Style Sharing Selection 220g (freezer) – a selection of jackfruit samosa and crispy cauliflower popcorn. Dairy free.
- 10 Tempura Prawns (freezer) – also dairy free.
- 12 Vegetable Spring Rolls (freezer) – also dairy free.
- 12 Chilli Cheese Bites (freezer)
- 28 Cocktail Sausages (freezer) – also dairy free.
- 9 Mini Melting Chocolate Puddings (freezer) – also dairy free.
- Salted Caramel Profiteroles 210g (freezer)
- Irresistible Hand Finish Belgian Chocolate Cups 214g (freezer) – 6 milk chocolate and salted caramel, 6 white chocolate and passionfruit.
- Irresistible White Forrest Meringe (freezer) – layers of meringue, white chocolate cream and cherry kirsch sauce topped with cherries and white chocolate.
- Free From Ruby Reindeer Cupcake duo
- Irresistable Hand Finished Chocolate Truffles (dairy and egg free)
- Free From Spiced Salted Caramel Cookies – well these are a bit yummy! Not as crunchy as I would have liked personally but a proper festive flavour and very dunkable.
- Free From Cranberry & Orange Tiffin Bites
- Free From Spiced Fruit Cake Bites
- Irrisistable Smooth & Decadent Luxury Collection Chocolates – these look absolutely beautiful and taste yummy too, I tried a box with friends recently and they are perfect Christmas treat food.
- Free From Santa Bar (milk free)
- Free From Choc Coins (milk free)
- Free From 4 Mince Pies
- Free From 6 Month Matured Christmas Pudding 100g
2019 update coming soon. Here’s the range from 2018:
- pork cocktail sausages
- pigs in blankets crisps
- king prawn ring with seafood sauce (freezer)
- ultimate king prawn ring with sweet chilli sauce (freezer)
- bacon-wrapped asparagus bundles (freezer)
- chicken tikka bites (freezer)
- ice cream chocolate shots (freezer)
- mini dessert pots (freezer)
- 15 after dinner ice cream mints (freezer)
- toffee & pecan roulade (freezer)
For top quality party food that you can feed to everyone without them suspecting gluten free, Marks & Spencers has the top spot. It’s pricey though so either splash out on your gluten free guests or mix and match with some gluten free party food from cheaper supermarkets.They also do a 64-piece gluten free party food selection that you can order online. Here are my top gluten free party food picks:
- 12 Mini British Chicken Garlic Kievs – made with a creamy garlic and herb soft cheese, coated in golden gluten free breadcrumbs. Also free from soya, egg and nuts, contains dairy and garlic. My absolute favourite gluten free party food item in shops, these mini garlic chicken kievs have featured in the range for the last few years and are excellent.
- 16 Pigs in Blankets
- 16 Bacon and Cheese Rolls – Beechwood smoked British streaky bacon wrapped around mozzarella and cheddar cheese. Also free from soya, egg and nuts, contains dairy. These are pretty good, very smokey bacon but a nice addition to a buffet table.
- 16 Spanish Pigs in Blankets – Spanish pancetta wrapped around cured mini chorizo sausages with a honey glaze. Cocktail sticks included. Also free from dairy, soya, egg and nuts, contains garlic. Really really reeeally delicious, one of my favourites this year.
- 18 BBQ Pork Belly Squares – cooked pork belly with a barbecue glaze. Cocktail sticks included. Also free from dairy, soya, egg and nuts, glaze contains onion. These cook up so nicely and are delicious after being baked in the oven.
- 24 Mini Chicken Kievs (freezer) – as above but a larger pack found in the freezer section.
- 12 Sticky Asian Style Chicken Lollipops (fridge) – chicken breast and thigh meat blended with red pepper and spring onion coated in a sweet sticky gf soy and plum glaze, finished with a gluten free crumb topping. Lollipop sticks included. Also free from dairy, egg and nuts, contains soya, sulphites, garlic and onion. These are a very fun canape option and they taste great – you cook up the chicken lollipops then coat with the breadcrumbs to serve.
- 12 Mozzarella Pesto Filled Mini Bites (fridge) – one for the gluten free veggies!
- 10 Sticky Chicken Yakitori Kebabs (fridge)
- 12 mini Santa hats (freezer) – crisp meringue base topped with vanilla cream and raspberry jelly. Also free from soya, contains dairy and egg and not suitable for nut allergy sufferers. How yummy these are really surprised me when we tried them – I thought they would definitely be style over substance (they are cute little santa hat shapes) but they were delicious! The jelly is made with raspberry puree and beautifully tart, which pairs perfectly with the sweet vanilla meringue base.
- Winter Woolly Whips
- Candy Cane Colin the Caterpillar sweets
- Percy Pigs Christmas sweets
- Plant Based Kitchen salted caramel truffles
- Made Without Christmas Pudding
- 12 Gluten Free Christmas cake Bites
- Blackcurrant/Toffe & Pecan Roulade
- 4 Raspberry & Mascarpone Roulades
- Winter Berry Pavalova
- Made Without Christmas Cake
- Made Without 4 Mince Pies
Some others from 2018 that might yet make an appearance:
- mini toad in the hole
- cheese & bacon potato skins
- tandori king prawn wreath with dip
- mini seafood shells
- hog roast on mini crackling plates
- Swiss strudel chocolates
- honeycomb crunch bites
Morrisons have some tasty gluten free party food options again this year and lots of the brilliant items from 2018 have reappeared for 2019, hurrah. Again, many are not specifically branded as free from but they have a gluten free marker on them. Have a good look through the party food section to spot the little green diamond:
- Chicken Satay And Peanut Dip 194g (freezer)
- 12 Gouda Cheese Churros and Red Pepper Dip – these are fab!
- 12 Cheese Stars – 6 cream cheese and garlic, 6 chipotle chilli and cheese
- 10 Breaded Camemberts – with raspberry and champagne sauce
- 12 Mushroom Arancini 240g
- Breaded Garlic Mushrooms
- 12 Mozzarella Pesto Balls
- 12 Mozzarella Sticks
- 10 Loaded Potato Skins
- 12 Breakfast Bacon & Egg Cups
- Free From Mini Hash Browns 750g (freezer)
- Free From Mozzarella Sticks 150g (freezer)
- No Moo-zarella Sticks 160g
- Free From Cracker Selection (cheese crackers)
- Free From Mini Crackers (for canapes and dips)
- The Best 10 Pigs in Blankets 210g
- Hot & Spicy Chicken Wings 400g
- Free From 6 Doughnuts (freezer)
- Free From Profiterols (freezer)
- Free From Rudi the Reindeer Yule Log
- Free From Robin Sponge Christmas Cake
- Free From 12 Mini Pastry Tart Cases
- Free From Ginger Tiffin Squares
- Free From Cranberry & Orange Mini Bites
- Free From Gingerbread Men 150g
- Free From Jewelled Fruit Topped Christmas Cake
- Free From 2 Star Topped Mince Pies
- Free From Cherry & Almond Sponge Pudding
- Free From Sticky Toffee Pudding
- Free From Panettone
- Free From 4 Mince Pies
- The Best Gluten Free Cranberry & Clementine Shortbread
- The Best Gluten Free Belgian Milk Chocolate, Rum & Raisin Cookies
- Free From Oaty Cookie Selection (choc chip, ginger and plain)
- Free From Bake Your Own Chocolate Brownie Star Cookies
Sainsbury’s have added a few gluten free items to their party food range, hurrah, but compared to other supermarkets they do not have the best selection. Here is what I have found so far:
- 10 Cheddar Jalapeno Sticks (fridge)
- 10 Loaded BBQ Jackfruit Rosti Stack 180g (fridge)
- 12 Bacon & Leek Frittatas (fridge)
- 9 Mini Cheese & Bacon Shells (fridge)
- 12 Mini Thai Salmon Fishcakes
- 12 Pigs in Blankets Butchers Choice (fridge)
- 10 Taste the Difference Pigs in Blankets (fridge)
- 12 Mozzarella Sticks (freezer and fridge)
- 12 Pork, Sage & Onion Stuffing Balls (fridge)
- Jolly Hog Pigs In Blankets 240g
- 8 Firecracker Chicken Wings
- Sharing Antipasti Trio 190g
- Chorizo & Gouda Rollitos 100g
- Free From 2 Cranberry & Orange giant mince pies
- Free From 4 Mince Pies
- Free From 4 Iced Mince Pies
- Free From Iced Fruit Cake Bar
- Free From Christmas Pudding (large and small)
- Free From Sticky Toffee Sponge Pudding (small)
- Free From 4 Mini Chocolate Logs
- Taste the Difference Free From Choc, Cherry & Amaretto Cookies
- Taste the Difference Free From Cookie & Shortbread Selection
- Free From 9 Ginger Tiffin Bites
- Buttermilk Mince Pie Fudge
- Free From White/Milk Chocolate Santa
- Raspberry & Lemon Wreath, Taste the Difference 450g (freezer)
- Strawberries & Cream Santa Hats 448g (freezer)
- Rule of Crumb Dairy & Gluten Free 6 Chocolate Eclairs (freezer)
- Berry Meringue Roulade Dessert, Taste the Difference 450g (freezer)
- Raspberry Pavlova Dessert 310g (freezer)
- Toffee & Pecan Roulade Dessert, Taste the Difference (freezer)
- Taste the Difference Belgian Chocolate Roulade (freezer)
- Taste the Difference Raspberry & Prosecco Meringue Stack (freezer)
- Salted Caramel Roulades, Taste the Difference x2 180g (freezer)
Tesco are back again this year with plenty of gluten free party food, with choices for both meat-eaters and veggies. I have already tried a few of the hot party food items and especially enjoyed the mozzarella sticks, pigs in blankets and loaded potato skins. Here is a round up of savoury and sweet products for your festive parties:
- 12 Ham & Cheese Croquettes (fridge)
- 12 Mozzarella Sticks (fridge) – with a tomato and herb centre, coated in a gluten free red pepper crumb. Also free from egg, soya and nuts, contains dairy and garlic. We really enjoyed trying these, they are like little pizza sticks almost with that tomatoey centre. Definitely a crowd pleaser.
- 10 Green Jalepeno Stuffed Peppers (fridge)
- Tesco Finest 10 Gluten Free Pigs In Blankets (fridge) – pork cocktail sausages wrapped in smoked, dry cure steaky bacon rashers. Also free from dairy, soya, egg and nuts, contains sulphites. Gosh these are really excellent pigs in blankets and the bacon is gently smokey rather than overpowering, definitely recommended.
- Tesco Sticky BBQ Chicken Wings 300g (fridge)
- Tesco Mini Sticky BBQ Ribs 340g (fridge)
- 5 Cheese & Bacon Loaded Potato Skins (fridge) – crispy potato skins filled with cheddar and smoked bacon. Also free from eggs, soya and nuts, contains dairy. Who can resist a filled potato skin?! We enjoyed these are they are quite substantial for a canape so a good bulky item to include in your buffet spread.
- 12 Chicken Tikka Masala Bites (fridge) – spiced chicken and rice in a crisp crumb. Also free from egg, soya and nuts, contains dairy, onion and garlic. Another good substantial canape that we enjoyed trying – these chicken curry balls are very mild, very much like a korma, more rice than chicken and wrapped in crispy gluten free breadcrumbs.
- Free From Yorkshire Puddings (freezer)
- Free From Onion Ring Crisps (Christmas free from section)
- Free From Maple Bacon Tortilla Curls (Christmas free from section)
- Free From Turkey & Stuffing Tortilla Chips (Christmas free from section)
- Tesco Finest Pigs in Blankets Crisps /Ham with Cola Glaze Crisps /Christmas Trimmings Crisps /Brie & Cranberry Crisps (Christmas section)
- Tesco Turkey & Stuffing Bites Crisps (Christmas section)
- Free From Mini Cheese Snackers (Christmas free from section)
- Tesco Sriracha Almonds (Christmas section)
- Tesco Bombay Mix (Christmas section)
- Nairn’s Gluten Free Savoury Biscuit Selection for Cheese (Christmas free from section)
- Free From Caramelised Apple Crumble Pies (Christmas free from section) – Gluten free sweet shortcrust pastry cases filled with caramelised apple and sultanas with crumble topping. Also free from dairy, soya and nuts, contains egg. I am eating one of these as I type this and they definitely get my seal of approval. Quite sweet but very nice with a dollop of extra thick cream on top :D.
- Free From Deep Filled Mine Pies
- Free From Enrobed Cookies & Cream Biscuits
- Tesco Finest Free From Chocolate and Salted Caramel Sponge
- Free From Belgian Chocolate Coated Shortbread Men
- Tesco Finest Free From Cookie Selection Box
- Marzipan Fruits
- Chocolate Orange Popcorn
- Free From Mini Panettone
- Free From Iced Fruit Slab Cake
- Free From Christmas Pudding
- Tesco Finest Free From Truffle Selection
- 4 Free From Chocolate Eclairs (freezer)
Waitrose are gradually catching up with the other big supermarkets on the gluten free party food front. Once again, find most of these in the regular chilled party food section. Last year they had this handy gluten free festive party pack, available online only, so I’ll keep my eyes peeled to see if that one comes back:
- 12 Breaded Cheese Selection
- 12 Tomato & Mozzarella Arancini Bites
- 12 Barber’s Vintage Cheddar & Onion Muffins – I would never have guessed it but these mini savoury muffins are gluten free.
- 12 Ham & Cheese Croquettes
- Pork Crackling Straws with Apple Sauce 130g
- 20 Southern Fried Chicken Chunks
- 16 Pigs in Blankets
- 4 Gluten Free Mince Pies (dairy free)
- Gluten free Christmas Pudding – normal size and mini (both dairy free)
- Gluten Free Christmas Cake (dairy free)
- 4 Iced Gluten Free Fruit Cake Slices (dairy free)
- Arden & Amici Gluten Free Panettone – I tried one of these last year and it was really nice toasted and buttered!
There you go! If you have spotted any especially great gluten free party food items that I have missed, give me a shout at email@example.com. Oh also, if you prefer to make your own canapes, check out my recipes:
Happy Christmas everyone! x
*This article contains some affiliate links, meaning no additional cost to you but enabling me to keep running www.mygfguide.com as a free website that is open to all :).