These gluten free cajun prawn tacos with healthy rainbow slaw and pineapple avocado salsa turned out gooooood! We’ve been making them regularly ever since as a speedy midweek dinner option.
Juicy prawns tossed in a cajun seasoned sauce, grilled and then served simply with that zingy homemade salsa and slaw on gluten free tortillas.
If you want to try you hand at homemade tortillas, why not try my easy recipe. They are super easy to make at home and I’ve not looked back ever since I started.
You can change it up and use classic fajita toppings (such as tomato salsa and sour cream) instead if you want but I really love the pineapple avocado salsa combo and zesty rainbow slaw. Both work so well and keep this dish really healthy, plus you get a big dose of fruit and veggies.
Prawn Tacos with Pineapple and Avocado Salsa (Serves 2 people)
- quarter small red cabbage
- small cos lettuce
- 2 radish
- 1 lime
- 150g ripe pineapple
- 1 ripe avocado
- 300g prawns
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp gluten free cajun spice mix
- 100g tomato salsa (fresh or from a jar, whichever you prefer)
- 6 gluten free tortillas
- First make the rainbow slaw – it’s a very simple part of the dish but gives wonderful zesty crunch to your tacos. Very finely slice the red cabbage and lettuce and mix together in a bowl. Finely slice the radishes into rounds, add them to the bowl, then squeeze most of the lime juice over the top. Season with a little salt and pepper then set aside.
- Next up we will get cracking on that delicious salsa. Peel and remove the stone from the avocado, then chop it into little chunks. Do the same with the pineapple, mix them together with the final squeeze of lime (which will stop the avocado discolouring). Easy peasy, that’s your salsa done.
- Heat a frying pan over a medium heat and add the oil and cajun spice mix, sizzle for a minute until the spices begin to smell fragrant then add the prawns and toss until coated in the spices then take off the heat.
- To assemble the prawn tacos, place a small heap of rainbow slaw on the base of the gluten free tortilla, top with a heaped tsp of the pineapple avocado salsa then place a few prawns on top. Drizzle a tsp of tomato salsa over the taco and then enjoy!
If you enjoyed this gluten free cajun prawn taco recipe why not try one of my other gluten free dinner ideas:
Bon appetit! x