These wonderfully crispy cheese and sweetcorn fritters are perfect for brunch, a light lunch, with a leafy salad on the side, or as an appetiser. They’re actually double cheese, using feta and shredded mozzarella, and taste so yummy.
They are naturally gluten free, as corn flour is used as the binder for these fritters, as well as the shredded mozzarella. No eggs are needed, as the heat from the pan will cause the cornflour and cheese to work their binding magic.
Feta contrasts so well with the sweetcorn, and I’ve then added smoked paprika and spring onions for a depth of flavour, and lime juice for a little acidic hit. The lime juice won’t make them sweet at all, it simply contributes to the overall balance. And gives them a little Mexican vibe.
I particularly enjoy these with a good dash of Green Jalapeno Tabasco on top and a green salad on the side. Or have them for brunch with crispy bacon or chorizo and a fried egg or smashed avocado.
Can I Use Different Types of Cheese?
You could switch cheddar for mozzarella, however it won’t quite be as crispy. And be sure to use the packet grated mozzarella rather than the fresh ball variety, for maximum crispyness.
Crumbled halloumi could be a good alternative to feta cheese, or crumbled goats cheese should work nicely too.
Can I Use Frozen Sweetcorn?
Yes frozen corn will work nicely for this recipe. Defrost it first, then follow the steps outlined in the recipe.
Can I Use Gluten Free Plain Flour Instead of Corn Flour?
I’ve not tried it but I can’t see why it wouldn’t work. The fritters will be slightly less crisp, as the corn flour really helps to up the crispy ante in this recipe.
What Can I Serve These Crispy Cheese & Sweetcorn Fritters With?
Anything you like! As I said in the intro, they are lovely as a standalone lunch with salad on the side.
Alternatively, try them for brunch, as a stack topped with a fried egg or with crispy bacon, chorizo and/or avocado on the side.
You could also have them as a dinnertime side dish. The choice is yours, my friends!
Crispy Cheese & Sweetcorn Fritters Recipe (GF)
Time for the recipe! Any questions while you are making these fritters, please do message me on social media (@myglutenfreeguide) or email me at email@example.com. I’ll get back to you as soon as I can.
If you enjoy the recipe, please do leave a review on the recipe card below. It makes a world of difference to me :). And you can also share photos of your home creations in my Cooking Club on Facebook.
Thanks so much! Laura xxx
Beautifully crispy cheese and sweetcorn fritters, packed with fresh herbs, spring onions and plenty of flavour.
- 1 large tin of sweetcorn (approx 280-300g), drained
- 70g corn flour (corn starch)
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- Juice 1 medium-sized lime
- 80g feta cheese
- 80g shredded/grated mozzarella cheese
- 2 spring onions
- 10g fresh coriander (about a handful)
- For cooking: salted butter (about 20g) and olive oil (about 15ml)
- Tip the drained sweetcorn into a medium-sized bowl. Sprinkle the cornflour and smoked paprika over the top and mix through, so that the sweetcorn is evenly coated with the flour.
- Squeeze in the lime juice and stir again until you have a stiff mixture.
- Crumble the feta into the bowl and add the shredded mozzarella. Slice the spring onions finely and add them too, as well as the fresh coriander (roughly chopped into small pieces). Mix everything together well until you have a stiff batter, and season with a pinch of salt and some freshly ground black pepper.
- Heat a non stick frying pan over a medium frame, add a small knob of butter (about 10g) and a dash of oil to stop the butter from burning. You can either make small or medium-sized fritters, the small ones are easier to flip. For small add a heaped tbsp of mixture or for medium use 2 heaped tbsp per fritter.
- Press down lightly on the fritters and cook for 3 minutes over a medium heat. Then press again (as the cheese will now have melted and it helps to stick everything together) and cook for a further 2 mins until golden brown and holding its form. Flip the fritters, then cook for a further 2-3 minutes on the second side.
- Serve with your choice of sides and toppings. I enjoy mine with smashed avocado and salad, for a light lunch. They'd be awesome for brunch too, with crispy bacon or chorizo and a fried egg on top.
For more tasty gluten free meal ideas, why not try some of my other yummy recipes:
Happy cooking! Laura xxx