My adaptation of this Italian dish of baked aubergines in tomato sauce makes for a brilliant naturally gluten free winter warmer. My Italian friends will shout at me for adding cheddar cheese to the topping, but I am a massive cheese fan and feel it adds depth.
- 2 aubergines
- 2 tins of chopped tomatoes
- 1 large onion
- 3 cloves of garlic
- Dash of balsamic vinegar
- Tomato puree
- Half a tsp of sugar
- Dash of red wine (optional)
- Salt and pepper
- Heat your oven to 180 degrees.
- Dice the onion and add to a medium-sized non-stick pan with a dash of olive oil. Cook on a low-medium heat until the onion is soft and translucent.
- While your onions are cooking down, wash your aubergines and then slice them into coins (around half a cm thick). Lay them on a baking tray lined with greaseproof paper, sprinkle with salt and drizzle with olive oil. Then bake in the oven for 20 minutes, or until they have started to brown. (alternatively you can par-cook them in a griddle pan, but I find this oven method involves less effort and uses less oil). Take them out of the oven and set aside.
- While the aubergines are cooking, crush your garlic cloves and add to the onions, turn up to a medium heat, then add the tomato puree, red wine and herbs.
- Add the tinned tomatoes, dash of balsamic and sugar, then allow to cook. Season.
- Take a small casserole dish – add a quarter of your tomato sauce to the base, add layer aubergines, cover with the same quantity of sauce, layer of aubergines, sauce, aubergines, then finally pour over the remaining tomato sauce.
- Top with grated cheddar and parmesan cheese and then bake in the oven for 30 minutes or until the cheese has turned golden in colour.
- Serve with fresh gluten free bread/rice/roasted new potatoes and a green salad. YUM.